Never listen

HAPPY KINDA FOURTH OF JULY,
'✨🦅🦅MERICA🦅🦅🇺🇸🇺🇸🎇
(it is when I started writing lmao)

City of angels- Em Beihold
Your pov:

I patched up Hunters wound using my healing magic, as I did I kept thinking.
So he didn't have magic? I mean he has artificial but it's not the same. No, I promised I believed that he was efficient enough. I mean he's climbed to the top before I did, impressed everyone, and all without powers... the whole thing is kinda humbling. But besides that what confuses me...

I used a kennel pouch in my satchel, I wiped away the axes blood as I looked down at Hunter again.

Is that shouldn't be possible originally I thought maybe he was cursed and his magic was stolen but he mentioned he didn't have a bisle sack. As mentioned before if a witch doesn't have a bisle sack they won't live unless treated with immerse care after a premature birth, but even then...

I paused as I finished hearing him and shook my head.

It doesn't matter. He doesn't have magic and that's fine, it doesn't have to make sense.
"So do you want to report the good news to Belos?" I asked, trying to shake off the thought train that was blaring at me to get back on track.

I held out my hand and he let himself up without it. He nodded, he was being weirdly sheepish, I mean did he kinda freak out? Yes. Did he have a good reason to? Maybe, but still, it's weird to see the Golden Guard so... timid looking.

He put his mask back on, "yes, we'll report our duties to the Emperor and be on with our day." He then mumbled this last bit to himself, but I overheard it and felt offended, though I didn't say anything, "and hopefully no other missions with you today."

I rolled me eyes behind him, just when I thought he was opening up and this could be like a coming of age enemies to friends story he acts all brushing right after there's some character development, how cliché.

He sat atop his staff but I noticed him look back at me as I got atop my staff, but the look was too lingering to just see if I was following as we reached the sky's horizon. It had to have been about 4 pm at this point. I was always so surprised at how fast time left me when I went on missions with him. The ride to the castle was short, we walked the halls, confidence-false but still confidence-in our every step. We reached the throne room and again as we bowed I let Hunter tell the good news.

"Ah, I see, why don't you go on guard deity on the west wing, I don't have any other tasks for you." He said simply afterwords. Me and Hunter readied to stand up and walk out together but Belos stopped us.

"And you Hunter go and inform the coven heads of the new meeting time for tomorrow," he added and I noticed him quickly turn. He seemed excited and nodded quickly, "yes Emperor Belos! I won't let you down!" He said quickly. It didn't take a genius to know The Golden Guard was smiling under his mask

I felt myself smile as we bowed again and were dismissed, my partner basically skipped- yes a 16 year old boy was so excited he skipped- to where the coven heads are. As he left the question entered my mind and I kept shaking it off. But for some reason... I couldn't shake that something wasn't right.

I walked over to the west wing and stood my mark, the guards were switching and I let a friendly wave to witch the guard I was replacing waved back happily. I've noticed that when it came to fear, the Golden Guard took that. I've never seen any other guards interacting really or socializing with him. Usually they just now their head low and scurry off while I socialize often and go out of my way to talk to others, another contrast of our never ending list of reasons that make us different.

I asked the guard how they were and they responded the normal good, asked the same and I responded the same, simple boring small talk but it felt nice to talk to someone that wasn't giving me whiplash on weather or not he was nice or a dick.

Both. Both is good?
Yet as I stood there guarding that part of the hallway I got lost in my thoughts.
I wasn't one to question everything but it'd be like... like if a seed that needs sunlight to grow, still grew and flourished in a cave without water. It's in heard of and quite impossible, we need magic to survive in our parents stomachs, so we would quite literally die without them. But I couldn't help but wonder why I cared, was i intrigued concerned, bored? I didn't know why I was so hell bent on it, then I heard a familiar voice.

"You alright there kid?"

I turned and noticed the scout next to me ask with a very severe tic "Steve" shirt on. I smiled under my mask.

"Oh, hey Steve, and yea I'm okay just thinking."

He back turned to me slowly and nodded, "thought as much, is it about the Golden Guard?"

"What??" I turned to him quickly, feeling my pointed ears redden, "W-why would it be about him???" I asked quickly and definitely not defensively.

Steve sighed and let out a soft laugh, "Damn, so it is, and believe me y/n, the scouts have nothing better to do then talk. So... when we saw you two going on more missions together, it raised eyebrows."

I sighed and leaned against the wall, "good to know I'm the head of all the gossip and break the boredom. Yippie." I said very sarcastically as I looked back, "no. It's not about him," I lied.

I played with my gloves, "I just... I read about something, about there being a witch born powerless, like without a bisle sack... if that even possible?" I asked, hoping for maybe some adult guidance.

"No."

Well Fuck me gently with a chainsaw that solves and answers all my questions.

Steve then paused, raising a hand to his face, "but I guess maybe If there was a giant birth defect on both the carrier and the witchlet it could be possible? I'm not sure though, I'm not someone to ask about those type of questions, I barley passed anatomy in school, sorry," he admitted as he thought out loud.

I sighed and shook my head, "it's okay, thanks anyway"

I felt words linger in his throat before he began again, "maybe... some things just are, you'll drive yourself mad trying to figure out all the worlds secrets."

I smiled softly and nodded, "yea... I get what you mean. I won't, though a few more shifts with you and I might drive myself bat shit crazy."

He just laughed heartily, "smart ass."

The shift ended a few hours later, I was thankful for Steve's company, and decided to take his advice, I headed to the library to pick up a new romance book, to take my mind off of it.

I mean what better than a love interest that gives me unrealistic expectations of how I could be treated, or maybe the bare minimum makes me go into a puddle and makes it seem like the bare minnimum is princess treatment. Like the other witch actually liking me or liking to talk to me and.... oh. Yea I'll talk to my non existent therapist about that one.

I walked into the library, looking through the books when I noticed a warm light creeping from behind them, I moved the books and saw at a table was my non magical witchy frie- partner, sitting at a table reading a book.

I shook my head.

No no no, leave it alone.

Then I was walking up to his table.

Damn I never listen to my own advise.

"Hey Hunter.."