Golden Guard

Cooler Than Me- Ethan Fields

Your pov

"Golden Guard," I said, barely acknowledging him as I walked past him to bow in front of Belos.

"Amethyst Guard." He said in a monotone voice that I was used to hearing. His golden mask staring daggers into me, at least that's what I would assume if I could see his eyes.  He made his way over next to me and kneeling with me.

The days at the castle were long as we reported for our duties. It had been five years since then, I had just turned sixteen and I had been working  with Belos for a little less than four. The days were mediocre. I would assume my missions, fulfill them faster and better than the Golden Guard, and return to my room or the library to study magic. Because I lived with the emperor my education was limited, so I learned by myself. It may have seemed boring to some sure, but it was weirdly fulfilling. Especially when I would report with good news to Belos, and see The Golden Boys- well- assume his face when I reported that my mission went faster and better then his. Another fact about living in the castle is the hope to make friends that little me wished for in my teenage years was difficult - unless Steve counted-and personally I don't enjoy befriending adults in their late twenties and beyond. But to be fair I'm not totally sure if Steve is really an adult, At least not mentally. I could of course be friend the Golden Guard, he was my age of course, but I'll pass on that. He was 5. 10' and every single inch was filled to the brim of arrogance. Not to mention despite the contrasting colors of our armor- we both had the same design but every part of white on his armor was black on mine, and every bit of gold was purple on mine- we were complete and utter opposites, quite literally like the colors yellow and purple. He was cocky, I was humble (mostly, I'm aware this dialog can be misleading) he was stuck up and unlikable, with every bit of egotistical as he was annoying. Ever since I joined the coven when I was twelve it was like a non stop unspoken competition between us, and to be frank, he sucked at it. But he had willpower and drive.

"I'd like to go on another mission to fetch more palistram wood. We're running low on supplies." The guard announced, as I felt his gaze on me.

An annoying amount.

I cut in, "Belos- if I may- the Palistram wood is becoming over harvested, and is being considered sacred. Even schools like Hex-side are adopting old Palismen instead of making new ones.  Supplying wood will be difficult." I informed as Belos nodded taking a moment to think as I heard the guard beside me mutter under his breath, "know it all."

"Cocky bat sack..." I muttered just enough that he could hear in response.

He didn't show it but I saw his hand ball up into a fist. "You two are aware that palismen are created by wild magic correct?" Belos loud and booming voice asked as it echoed off the throne room walls.

"Yes sir." Me and him both responded in unison.

"Then you know how dangerous wild magic is. And you also know what it can do to witches. We must harvest them to keep others out of harm." He said, a familiar pit in my stomach forming as I shoved it down. "Amethyst Guard, I'd like you to check our reserves, see what they're willing to give to us and report back to me." He said with a wave of his hand, showing he was dismissing me. I nodded and walked away, my eyes lingering on the golden boy that stayed in the throne room.

I in actuality had no idea what his name was. Weirdly enough,despite him being a witch i spend more time with than I'd like, Belos never said his name- or mine for that matter- around the other person. Likely for professionalism and confidentiality, and Goldie definitely never told me. Though that never stopped me from giving him nicknames, Goldie, Golden boy, sunshine- always said in a very sarcastic manner, that's important- lemon boy, blondie from the few times I saw his sandy blond hair when he didn't have his hood up that covered it, the list goes on and on. I walked down the castle halls, each hall being tall and narrow with carpet draping over every step. It always made me feel small, the way any noise bounced off its walls, how tall the hanging drapes and paintings had to be, it was all... intimidating to say the least. I made my way through the halls, the dark purple mask plastered on my face with my black cape dragging behind me. I must've looked intimidating-

"Yo Y/N is that you?" I heard a friendly and familiar voice ask.

I turned around to a familiar voice, "Yo Steve!" I smiled happily as i walked over to him.

-until you interacted with me.

"Are you headed out on another assignment?" he asked as i began to walk out of the castle with him.

"Yea, i'm heading to the palistram reserves. Another request from the Emperor you know how he is." I added as we walked. Steve nodded his head and i saw an idea pop into his head as we made our way out.

"You know...' he said smugly as we walked outside the castle and he took his scout mask off showing off the small horn on his forehead and dark hair. "I could give you a ride."

My eyes practically lit up as i gasped and ran next to him, "on your motorcycle??"

Steve laughed and nodded, "i carry a spair helmet with me."

I smiled widely as i pumped my hands excitedly, "Steve bike, Steve bike, Steve bike!" I said in a deeper louder voice.

Steve laughed as he brought his motorcycle out and handed me a helmet, "Chill kid, you're gonna give yourself an aneurysm."

Hunters pov

My annoying coworker walked out and i refrained myself from giving her a vulgar gesture as she did. "Hunter," My uncles booming voice snapped me back to reality, "is it true that Hex-side is having an adoption day?"

I was confused and nodded, "Uh, yes sir."

"very well, then i want you to find where they're keeping them and take them and bring them to me. You know they're dangerous, and they keep my curse at bay." The emperor told me, i hesitated, I didn't know how id even find them, or weather they'd be guarded or not. Belos seemed top notice my hesitation and responded with, "Or i could have the Amethyst Guard do it if its too much for you"

I shook my head popping my attention up, 'No! No, Sir i can handle it. I wont let you down." I stood up and began to head out of the throne room to order for a ship before belos words stopped my gloved hand on the door.

"I would hate to have to replace you. The titian has big plans for you."Belos said softly. I just nodded,

"I know." i said even softer as i walked out, the hole in my chest gaping larger by the minute.