Chapter 3: Having a Meal and Cutting Bamboo

After being delayed outside for a while, Ji Wan'er thought that they had already started eating inside the house.

However, to her surprise, Zi An didn't eat, and Xiao Qingming didn't eat either.

Ji Wan'er could understand why Zi An didn't eat. After all, the child was afraid of the original host and might be too scared to eat.

As for Xiao Qingming, he wasn't afraid of the original host, and he even disliked her. He completely ignored her just now, so why wasn't he eating either?

He was the head of the family, after all.

Could it be that he got so engrossed in reading that he forgot to eat?

Just as she was wondering if that was the reason, she saw Xiao Qingming pick up his chopsticks and start eating.

Was he waiting for her?

From this small detail, Xiao Qingming seemed to be truly courteous and respectful, even to the original host.

Although their relationship was very poor, and the original host would occasionally scold him, he still maintained her dignity in front of his younger siblings.

Seeing this small detail, Ji Wan'er felt relieved. The uneasiness she had earlier due to being ignored by Xiao Qingming gradually dissipated.

She wasn't afraid of being ignored by him; she was afraid that he might hate her to the core, just like in the book. If that were the case, her life would be difficult, and it would take a lot of effort to make Xiao Qingming change his opinion of her.

As long as he was reasonable, their interaction wouldn't be too difficult.

Ji Wan'er had a greater sense of anticipation for her life here.

Xiao Qingming started eating, but Yun Shuang and Zi An didn't move. They kept their eyes fixed on her.

"Let's eat," Ji Wan'er said to the two children.

As soon as Ji Wan'er picked up her chopsticks, the two children finally started eating. Both of them reached for the fried mantou slices.

Ever since Ji Wan'er was cooking, Zi An had been craving the mantou slices, but he hadn't been able to eat them until now. Finally, they were in his mouth.

The taste... was even better than he had imagined.

He had seen with his own eyes that the wicked woman had cut the same kind of mantou that he usually ate. Those mantou slices were cold, hard, and sometimes even sour.

But after Ji Wan'er worked her magic on them, the mantou slices became soft and fluffy, with a wonderful texture. They were glistening with oil and had a delicious salty flavor when he took a bite.

The most prominent flavor was still the taste of the eggs, so fragrant that he almost bit his tongue.

How could something be so delicious? It was even better than the meat he had eaten during the New Year's celebrations in the old house.

Zi An ate quickly, taking one bite after another.

Ji Wan'er saw that his mouth was full, his face turning slightly red from the rush, so she quickly patted his back and picked up the bowl of soup from the table, bringing it to his mouth.

"Take your time to eat. There's plenty more. Don't choke," Ji Wan'er said.

Zi An, who used to be the most afraid of Ji Wan'er in the family, now had his attention completely focused on the delicious food.