Chapter 11: Repairing the Roof and a Delicious Lunch.

Once the soup was served, everyone started eating.

Ji Wan'er's chopsticks reached for the pancakes first.

She was hungry.

After taking a bite of the pancake soaked in vegetable broth, Ji Wan'er nodded in satisfaction. It tasted good.

Then, she picked up a piece of eggplant and started eating.

It was fragrant and had the flavors of the vegetable broth and a hint of meat.

Perhaps it had been too long since she last ate meat, but she actually found this eggplant tastier than the one she had stewed before.

She continued to eat a few more bites of the eggplant.

As she wondered what others at the table thought of the dish, she noticed something strange.

Not a single person was picking up the meat.

She didn't know if Xiao Qingming wanted to eat it or not, as he rarely showed any reaction to anything other than books. But the two children definitely wanted to eat it.

It was the first time she had seen these two children so eager for a dish.

Clearly, it had been a long time since they had eaten meat.

However, their behavior didn't show it.

That's strange.

Ji Wan'er carefully observed the reactions of the two children and noticed that although they didn't pick up the meat, their eyes were fixed on it.

With the children's experiences in mind, she suddenly understood something.

These two children were truly pitiful and had been through a lot.

Even in the old house, no one cared for them, and after the separation, it was still the same.

Perhaps when they sat at the table, they didn't dare to eat meat.

Having figured this out, Ji Wan'er picked up a piece of meat and served it to Yun Shuang, then another piece to Zi An.

"Eat up," she said.

Seeing them cautiously watching her, Ji Wan'er smiled and said, "We bought a lot of meat today, so eat more. Don't leave any leftovers. Sister-in-law will make something else delicious for you tonight, I promise it will be just as tasty as the meat."

The children finally ate the meat.

The pieces of meat were small, only about two centimeters long, but Zi An only took a bite and left the rest.

He chewed the meat in his mouth and said, "It's really delicious."

After speaking, tears welled up in his eyes.

Seeing Zi An like this broke Ji Wan'er's heart, and she served him another piece of meat.

"Eat up, from now on we'll eat meat every day," Ji Wan'er said.

Zi An wiped away his tears with his sleeve.

Although he knew his sister-in-law was trying to comfort him, he nodded earnestly.

Ji Wan'er then turned and served another piece of meat to Yun Shuang.

Yun Shuang was about to refuse, but Ji Wan'er stopped her.

She knew that Yun Shuang wanted to give it to her brother again.

Even though she was just a child herself, she always thought of her younger brother.