Chapter 21: Making a Bed - Xiao Qingming's Peculiar Behavior

After the incident during lunch, Ji Wan'er's mood improved greatly for the rest of the day.

During dinner, seeing that there was still a good amount of bone soup left in the pot, she removed the bones and added some fresh water. Once it boiled again, she cracked an egg into it.

Perhaps everyone had eaten too much during lunch, so they didn't eat much for dinner. Yun Shuang and Zi An each had a bun, while Xiao Qingming had two.

As dinner approached, Xiao Qingming felt somewhat conflicted. He was looking forward to seeing Ji Wan'er, but at the same time, he felt a bit embarrassed. Caught between these two emotions, he hesitated for quite some time before joining them.

However, at the dining table, he noticed that Ji Wan'er didn't even glance at him. She was busy taking care of Yun Shuang and Zi An the whole time.

He couldn't quite describe the feelings in his heart. All he knew was that he felt a bit disappointed and not very happy.

Early the next morning, Ji Wan'er left a few pancakes for Xiao Qingming before heading out.

Watching their figures as they left, Xiao Qingming furrowed his brow slightly. Wasn't she supposed to be staying at home and not going out? Why did she leave so early? There seemed to be significant changes in the household recently. He remembered that his younger siblings and Ji Wan'er had never been on good terms, but recently, they seemed to be together often.

Sensing his inner restlessness, Xiao Qingming closed the book in front of him, took a nearby notebook, and began writing, burying himself in the task.

"Eggs taste really delicious," Zi An happily remarked while holding a boiled egg. "They taste different from scrambled eggs."

Yun Shuang silently looked at the boiled egg in her hand without saying anything. She never thought that she would have the opportunity to eat boiled eggs. In the past, Third Aunt (Aunt Duo?) would secretly boil them for her cousins. She had never tasted boiled eggs before and had always been curious about their taste.

Unexpectedly, she had the chance to eat them herself one day.

Moreover, recently she had been eating well every day, with eggs and meat every few days.

Her younger brother had gained weight, and when she looked at her reflection in the water that day, she was almost unrecognizable. Her face had also become rounder.

And all of this was thanks to her sister-in-law.

Yun Shuang cracked open the egg in her hand and handed half of it to Ji Wan'er.

"Sister-in-law, here you go."

Watching Yun Shuang's gesture, Ji Wan'er felt extremely gratified.

Just yesterday, she had bought some eggs, and this morning she cooked one for each of the children.

The reason she didn't cook one for herself was that she didn't really enjoy eating eggs.

"I'm not hungry, you can eat," Ji Wan'er said.

"I'm not hungry either," Yun Shuang replied.

"Go ahead and eat, I'm really not hungry. With so many eggs at home, can I afford to be stingy with myself?" Ji Wan'er smiled and said, "Eat quickly, they won't taste good when they get cold."

Hearing her words, Yun Shuang hesitated for a moment and took the egg back.

It was only the third day since she started selling them, and she didn't expect to have returning customers. The people who had come in the past two days had returned again today. The middle-aged man who had visited yesterday was also here today. He even had two bowls of soup this time.