Chapter 45: Departure

A new life was about to begin.

"My dear husband, focus on your studies. I'll go home and ask my mother for her opinion," Ji Wan'er said.

"I'll accompany you," Xiao Qingming replied.

"No need, I can go by myself. You stay home and study," Ji Wan'er insisted.

"I'll accompany you," Xiao Qingming repeated.

"Alright, then let's go together."

Ji Wan'er initially planned to leave without bringing anything, but since Xiao Qingming insisted on going, it couldn't be that simple. They needed to bring some things. Glancing at Yun Shuang and Zi An playing in the courtyard, she remembered what Nanny Dong had said yesterday and called the two children to join them.

If they were going to the county town, it was likely they wouldn't come back to live here again in their lifetime. Ji Wan'er directly caught two hens from the chicken coop and brought them along.

Seeing the reluctance in Yun Shuang's eyes, Ji Wan'er said, "I'll make it up to you in the future, little sister-in-law." The matter was not yet settled, so she didn't explain much to Yun Shuang.

"No need, sister-in-law."

"Let's go."

With that, the family set off for Ji's Village.

Today, Ji's house was still lively. Many relatives and neighbors came to congratulate them, and it felt even more like the celebration of someone becoming a scholar than their own house.

Seeing the arrival of Xiao Qingming, the main character, everyone congratulated him. When they saw Ji Wan'er carrying two hens, they turned their heads to congratulate Nanny Dong for marrying her daughter into a good family.

Nanny Dong was very pleased.

After the guests left, Nanny Dong asked, "Why did you come again today?" They had already visited yesterday, so there must be a reason for their return.

"After discussing with my husband, we thought about opening a shop in the county town. What do you think, Mother?" Ji Wan'er asked.

Nanny Dong's face showed no signs of surprise upon hearing her daughter's words, as if she had known all along.

On the other hand, Yun Shuang and Zi An stared with wide eyes, their gaze shifting between the adults.

"I already guessed that you would go to the county town," Nanny Dong said.

"Huh? How did you know, Mother?" Ji Wan'er asked in confusion. She had only learned yesterday that Xiao Qingming wanted to go to the county town to study, and it was only today that she had decided to accompany him.

Nanny Dong smiled and said, "Qingming became a scholar, so he will naturally go to the county town to study. You newlyweds want to be together, and Yun Shuang and Zi An will miss their older brother. It's best for the whole family to be together."

In fact, if her daughter hadn't come today, Nanny Dong would have gone to find her in the next couple of days. After her happiness yesterday, she started thinking about the future. Since her son-in-law had become a scholar, he would certainly go to the county town to study. The relationship between her daughter and son-in-law had finally improved, and she didn't want it to be strained because of studying. Moreover, there were so many temptations outside, and who knew what might happen when the young couple were separated for several months.

Looking at the two children sitting nearby, enjoying their fruits, Nanny Dong felt that it was too difficult for her daughter to take care of the two children alone. They needed a man in the house, and there were also issues with the old house.