Chapter 4: Bamboo Tube Rice - A Delicious Lunch

After a while, Yun Shuang and Zi An became anxious when they saw that Ji Wan'er hadn't returned.

"Zi An, let's go to the bamboo forest behind and see if Sister-in-law needs help," Yun Shuang suggested.

Zi An rejected the proposal, saying, "Sis, I'm not going."

The psychological shadow left by Ji Wan'er was too great. Even though she had treated him well just now, now that he had calmed down, he only wanted to stay away from her.

"We should still go. What if Sister-in-law gets angry if she sees that we didn't go to help?" Yun Shuang said.

Such things had happened before.

Ji Wan'er often scolded them, and any reason could become an excuse for her to scold them.

Zi An began to hesitate, "Sister-in-law doesn't like to work. Maybe she's already gone out to play."

That was also a possibility.

Yun Shuang thought for a moment and said, "Let's go and see. If Sister-in-law isn't there, we'll come back."

Under the pressure from Ji Wan'er, Zi An reluctantly agreed.

Before leaving, Yun Shuang straightened Zi An's clothes and fastened all the buttons.

It was cold outside, and she was afraid her brother would catch a cold.

Ji Wan'er had no idea what the siblings were thinking behind her back. At this moment, she was engaged in a "battle" with the bamboo.

Idealism was full, but reality was harsh.

She had already imagined the surroundings of the house filled with fences, but the bamboo didn't cooperate. It wasn't easy to chop down.

She was small and didn't have any effective methods. After an hour of chopping, resting for a while, and then working again, she had only managed to bring down less than ten stalks.

Fortunately, she had figured out a method and estimated that she would be faster next time she chopped.

But there was no rush; she could take her time.

Her arms were getting a bit sore, so Ji Wan'er stopped chopping. She began to process the bamboo instead.

The bamboo had many branches and leaves, so she used a knife to remove them.

At that moment, Yun Shuang and Zi An approached.

Yun Shuang stood in front, while Zi An hid behind her.

"Sister-in-law, let us help you," Yun Shuang offered.

Ji Wan'er wasn't accustomed to bossing around children, and there was no urgency in this task. She preferred to handle it herself, taking her time to finish it in a few days.

"No need, I can do it myself."

Since their mother's passing, Yun Shuang had been treated as a maid in the old house and later by Ji Wan'er.

It had been five or six years since she was four or five years old.

She had become accustomed to doing chores.

Although Ji Wan'er refused, Yun Shuang still squatted down silently and removed the branches from the bamboo.

Seeing her sister's actions, Zi An also joined in.

The task wasn't heavy, and being alone at the back of the house was quite boring. Ji Wan'er glanced at the siblings and didn't say anything further.

Since they were working with bamboo shoots, she would continue chopping bamboo.