Chapter 35: Upholding

Ji Wan'er looked at Xiao Qingming standing beside her, feeling quite surprised.

Is this really the same Xiao Qingming who couldn't utter a word for half a day? He's speaking so fluently now. Moreover, he doesn't stumble at all, completely unlike his usual self when talking to her. Just earlier, she had thought that Xiao Qingming had become noticeably thinner, but now, looking at his figure, she suddenly felt that he had grown much taller than before.

This person seemed to have transformed.

Yun Shuang became even more excited. Her brother never concerned himself with these matters. Was he going to stand up for her now? She discreetly raised her sleeve and wiped away her tears.

What kind of person was Xiao Qingming? Ji Wan'er, Yun Shuang, and Zi An may not be clear, but the people from the old residence who had watched him grow up were particularly familiar with him.

To put it nicely, he liked reading books, knew how to read, and was good at studying.

To put it harshly, he was just a fool. He was decent at reading when he was young, but as he grew up, he failed the exams twice and realized that he was just a fool. If he couldn't read well, he couldn't do anything. Since the death of his parents, he became even more foolish and couldn't even speak properly. They scolded him, ridiculed him, and even hit him, but he remained indifferent. Even during the final separation, when nothing was given to him except for a dilapidated house, he didn't utter a word.

Reading books made him foolish.

But today, he actually said such words. Did something go wrong with him?

The people from the old residence felt a sense of unfamiliarity towards Xiao Qingming for the first time. Was this really the same fool who became foolish from reading books? Wasn't he unable to speak, almost turning into a mute? How could he say so many words today?

Did they mishear earlier?

In the midst of shock, Wu Shi, who didn't know Xiao Qingming well, only remembered the words he just spoke and hastily retorted, "What nonsense are you talking about? When did I steal your mother's embroidery pattern? You're spouting nonsense!"

She didn't expect that after so many years, someone would bring up this matter again, and in front of so many people. She certainly couldn't admit it! After all, the other party definitely had no evidence.

Xiao Qingming said, "Seven years ago, on the ninth day of the second month, during the hour of 'si' (snake - 9:00-11:00 am)."

Wu Shi was taken aback, her face full of confusion. "What?"

Xiao Qingming continued, "It was the time when Aunt stole my mother's embroidery pattern."

As he spoke these words, Xiao Qingming's expression remained indifferent. There was no trace of satisfaction in exposing Wu Shi, nor any sign of disgust towards her. It was as if he was talking about something unrelated to himself.

In contrast, Wu Shi was far from composed.

She was so enraged that she felt like she was about to spew blood.

Where did she ask when she stole the embroidery pattern? Is this person stupid?

But Xiao Qingming hadn't finished speaking yet. He added, "A month later, on the fifteenth day of the third month, Aunt took the same embroidery pattern to the needlework shop in town and sold it for two silver coins."

Wu Shi looked at Xiao Qingming in shock. She had always thought that what happened back then was kept well hidden. How could it have been discovered by someone? Moreover, it had been many years, and she couldn't even remember the specific date herself.