Chapter 28: Shoulder Massage - Madam, you've worked hard.

Both of them inside the room were momentarily startled.

Nanny Dong furrowed her brows. She thought to herself that the person outside the door really had no sense of propriety, eavesdropping on their conversation. This Xiao family was truly not a good place. Nanny Dong was starting to find fault with everything related to the Xiao family.

After a moment of confusion, Ji Wan'er hurriedly went to open the door.

When Ji Wan'er saw that it was Yun Shuang standing at the door, she immediately breathed a sigh of relief.

"Sis... sister-in-law, I'm... I'm sorry," Yun Shuang said, her face pale with fright.

Ji Wan'er glanced at her hand and said, "It's okay. Did you burn yourself?"

Yun Shuang quickly shook her head. She regained her composure and squatted down, intending to pick up the broken pieces of the bowl on the ground.

Ji Wan'er hurriedly stopped her. "Don't pick it up. You might hurt your hand. We'll sweep it up later."

Yun Shuang quickly went to fetch a broom.

At this moment, the study door opened, and Xiao Qingming walked out.

He glanced at the floor first, then looked at Ji Wan'er. Seeing that she was fine, he felt relieved. Just as he was about to breathe a sigh of relief, he noticed the woman standing beside Ji Wan'er.

Is this... his mother-in-law?

Xiao Qingming immediately became nervous and quickly walked over, bowing to Nanny Dong. "Greetings, Mother."

Nanny Dong now regarded Xiao Qingming as nothing more than scum. She had a keen eye for judging people, rarely making mistakes, but she never expected to have misjudged her son-in-law. She smiled in a nonchalant manner and said, "Son-in-law, no need to be so polite. You're really diligent in your studies. I believe you'll pass the exams this year."

Xiao Qingming could sense that Nanny Dong was displeased, so he pursed his lips and remained silent.

Ji Wan'er also picked up on it. She remembered that her mother had always been satisfied with Xiao Qingming before. She didn't understand why her mother suddenly became dissatisfied with him today. Moreover, the book didn't depict this. She remembered that Nanny Dong had always been pleased with Xiao Qingming and had blamed her daughter for not cherishing such a good husband.

Nanny Dong couldn't be bothered to exchange any more words with Xiao Qingming. She feared that if she said a few more words, she would be unable to resist scolding or even hitting him. But she was a dignified person and would never stoop to such uncouth behavior.

"You can continue studying, I won't disturb you. I'll go back first," Nanny Dong said coldly.

Xiao Qingming took two steps forward and said, "I... I'll walk you back."

Compared to before, this was already a significant improvement. He knew how to converse with people and had learned some etiquette. Ji Wan'er quite liked his current changes.

Nanny Dong, however, instinctively refused without hesitation. "No need. Let Wan'er accompany me. You stay."

Since she had no intention of keeping him as her son-in-law, there was no need for her to show him any favor.

Ji Wan'er glanced at Xiao Qingming, then at Nanny Dong, and hurriedly followed along.

When they reached the village entrance, Nanny Dong held her daughter's hand and said, "Mother knew that you were not living well, after all, the Xiao family is poor. But I never expected things to be this bad for you. Mother knows it was my fault. This man, he's poor, doesn't know how to consider your feelings, and disrespects his wife. It's useless to have him around."