Chapter 36: Sweet Treats and a Kiss.

The group arrived quickly and left just as swiftly.

They came with great momentum, but left with dejected expressions and heavy hearts.

Xiao Qingming returned to his study to continue reading.

Ji Wan'er lay on the bed, thinking about the look in Xiao Qingming's eyes just before he left. Her heart felt tightly clenched, as if something was gripping it, making it hard for her to breathe. She tossed and turned in bed for a long time but couldn't fall asleep.

His words from earlier kept replaying in her mind, along with the expression in his eyes.

So fragile, it made one's heart ache.

As for Xiao Qingming's protective behavior, it lingered in her mind for only a moment before disappearing.

After a while, Ji Wan'er got up from bed.

Since she was worried, she might as well go and check. Ji Wan'er opened the door to the side room and glanced in the direction of the study. Then she turned and went to the kitchen, boiling water. Once the water was boiling, Ji Wan'er poured it into a teapot and carried it to the study.

Lately, she had gotten used to simply entering the room without knocking, but this time she hesitated a bit. She knocked on the door.

"Husband."

"Come in."

Ji Wan'er composed herself and pushed open the door, walking towards Xiao Qingming. Instead of bringing up what happened earlier, she smiled and said, "The sauce cakes today turned out a bit salty. I thought you might be thirsty, so I boiled some water."

As she spoke, she picked up a bamboo tea cup from the side and added some water into it.

"It's still a bit hot, let it cool down before drinking."

Xiao Qingming glanced at the cup in front of him and said, "Thank you, wife."

Ji Wan'er looked at Xiao Qingming, who spoke in his usual tone. Xiao Qingming was usually either expressionless or shy, so she couldn't really read any information from his current expression.

After standing for a moment and seeing no reaction from Xiao Qingming, Ji Wan'er lowered her gaze and gently tugged at the sleeve of his robe that he had placed on the table.

Xiao Qingming paused slightly, and his breath slowed down.

Ji Wan'er softly called out, "Husband."

These simple two words, like feathers, landed on her heart, tickling it and making it tingle.

Xiao Qingming's ears gradually turned red, uncontrollably.

Seeing his reaction, Ji Wan'er breathed a sigh of relief.

Xiao Qingming looked at Ji Wan'er's slender fingers resting on his deep blue robe, cleared his throat, and asked, "Ahem, what is it, wife?"

"I will never do such a thing again in the future. Do you... do you believe me?" Ji Wan'er whispered softly.

She had just thought of many things to say, but now, looking at Xiao Qingming, she only said this one sentence. The past couldn't be changed, so she could only focus on the future.

Xiao Qingming slightly clenched his fingers and looked up at Ji Wan'er.

Since childhood, adults had taught him not to mind other people's business, but to focus on studying. He took those words to heart. However, sometimes, he could easily sense when something was not right, but the adults wouldn't let him speak up. If he did, his grandfather would never praise him and might even scold him. Over time, he knew everything, but he couldn't interfere in anything.