Chapter 9: Town Shopping Spree

Calculating from their home to the town, it was a distance of about ten miles, which took a good two to three hours to walk. It was quite far indeed.

The town, being slightly larger and livelier than the village, couldn't be considered particularly prosperous.

Once they arrived, Ji Wan'er took Yun Shuang and Zi An to stroll around the town. While walking, Ji Wan'er held Zi An's hand tightly.

Although the town wasn't crowded, Zi An was still just a child after all. Yun Shuang held Zi An's other hand as the three of them walked along the main street of the town.

Even though Ji Wan'er wore a face cover, people in the town still occasionally stared at them.

After strolling around, Ji Wan'er finally headed towards the vegetable market. That was their main purpose for coming to the town today.

Eggplants, leafy greens, green beans, potatoes, Chinese cabbage...

Considering the distance they had to travel back to the village and the cold weather, Ji Wan'er bought extra vegetables. The prices of the vegetables were very cheap, ranging from two wen per catty to one wen per catty, and sometimes even one wen for two catties, such as Chinese cabbage and leafy greens.

Ji Wan'er wasn't the original host and didn't spend money recklessly. When buying vegetables, she compared prices at different stalls and chose the ones with the best value for money.

They bought around ten catties of vegetables, and in total, it costed less than twenty wen.

After purchasing the vegetables, Ji Wan'er placed them in the bamboo basket she carried.

"Sister-in-law, let me take it," Yun Shuang offered.

In the past, whenever Ji Wan'er went out shopping, she would have Yun Shuang carry the items. She never carried anything herself.

"It's okay, just keep an eye on your little brother," Ji Wan'er replied.

Yun Shuang was so small in stature that carrying the bamboo basket would probably bend her over.

Yun Shuang silently watched Ji Wan'er and tightened her grip on her little brother's hand.

Eggs were also on their shopping list. They were nutritious and cheaper than meat, making them a good choice for nourishment.

Eggs were priced at one wen for two. Ji Wan'er bought twenty eggs in one go.

This time, Yun Shuang snatched them and placed them in the bamboo basket behind her.

Eggs were not heavy, and Yun Shuang was quite steady, so Ji Wan'er followed her lead.

Finally, Ji Wan'er arrived at the meat stall.

Meat was not a scarce commodity for Ji Wan'er, and she wasn't particularly fond of eating it herself.

Perhaps it had been many days since she had eaten any meat, but when she saw it, she suddenly felt a craving.

It wasn't just her craving; Yun Shuang and Zi An's eyes were practically fixated on the meat.

If eye gazes had temperature, these two individuals would have cooked the meat with their stares.

Fatty meat was priced at fifteen wen per jin, while lean meat was priced at twelve wen per jin.

Ji Wan'er didn't particularly enjoy eating fatty meat as it was too greasy, so she naturally chose the cheaper lean meat.

Fresh meat was better for consumption, but without a refrigerator at home, she only purchased around two liang.

After weighing the lean meat, Ji Wan'er noticed the pig bones and pig skin placed aside.