Chapter 39: Passed the Exam - Wife, I passed the exam

Ji Wan'er had been anticipating Xiao Qingming's return for these past few days, eagerly awaiting his arrival. But when he suddenly appeared, she was both surprised and amazed. It was as if she had been hoping and worrying about him for countless days, and now she had been waiting for him for so long.

She had imagined how he would look when he returned, but she hadn't expected it to be like this.

Xiao Qingming carried a bamboo basket on his back, a basket that Ji Wan'er had bought for him in town before he left. He looked spirited to others, but his body appeared somewhat thinner. The weight he had gained in the month before the exam seemed to have disappeared, and he looked as frail as he did when she first met him.

However, unlike their initial meeting, his gaze toward her lacked coldness and held a hint of warmth.

Although she thought in her heart that his safe return was what mattered most, the words became stuck at her lips, and instead, she changed her statement, saying, "Why are you still standing there? Come inside and rest for a while."

"Okay," Xiao Qingming's voice sounded hoarse.

Ji Wan'er led Xiao Qingming directly to the backyard.

As soon as they entered, Zi An excitedly shouted, "Big brother, you're back!"

Upon hearing her brother's voice, Yun Shuang quickly came out from the kitchen and looked at the visitor.

"Big brother," Yun Shuang's voice was much softer than Zi An's, tinged with a hint of choked emotions.

Sister Yun had been curious about this young man and his close relationship with the shop owner. It was only now, hearing the children's address, that she realized he was the man whom the shop owner had never introduced.

This young man was truly handsome, gentle and refined, fair-skinned, tall and slender. Standing next to the shop owner, they looked like a perfect couple.

"Are you hungry? Go wash your face and wait inside. I'll prepare some food for you," Ji Wan'er said.

Xiao Qingming pursed his lips, and a smile appeared at the corner of his mouth. "Mmm."

Ji Wan'er used to be the one who made the final soy milk mixture for the tofu nao. But lately, she hadn't been making it much, as Aunt Zeng and Yun Shuang took care of that while she mostly handled the cash upfront.

But now that Xiao Qingming wanted to eat, she decided to make it herself.

She first served Xiao Qingming a bowl of chicken soup tofu nao, along with some freshly fried dough sticks. She also prepared some egg pancakes and soybean dreg pancakes and gave Xiao Qingming two soft-boiled eggs. Finally, she placed all the food on a tray and brought it to his room.

Upon entering the room, Ji Wan'er found Xiao Qingming sitting at the table, his arm resting on the surface while he leaned his face against his hand, eyes closed in relaxation.

It was then that she noticed the dark circles under his eyes, indicating extreme fatigue.

Xiao Qingming was not asleep. As soon as Ji Wan'er opened the door, he woke up. By the time Ji Wan'er quietly placed the food on the table, he had already opened his eyes.

"Tired? Have something to eat before you rest," Ji Wan'er said.

Xiao Qingming blinked his tired eyes and hoarsely replied, "Okay."

Despite his disheveled appearance, the way he blinked his eyes was adorable. Ji Wan'er resisted the urge to chuckle and carefully took out the items from the tray, placing them in front of Xiao Qingming.