Chapter 13: Is the Pork Jelly Made for Me?

After returning to her room, Ji Wan'er noticed that no one had eaten yet.

"Why isn't anyone eating? Noodles aren't tasty when they're all clumped together," she said.

Yun Shuang glanced at Ji Wan'er and replied, "My younger brother and I were trying to figure out what this is."

"This is pork skin," Ji Wan'er explained.

"Why did it turn into jelly?" Zi An asked curiously. "Did they put something inside?"

"No. The reason it became jelly is because..." Ji Wan'er hesitated.

The reason the meat jelly formed after boiling the pigskin was because it contains abundant collagen protein.

But how should she explain this to Zi An and the others who had never heard of collagen?

After a moment of hesitation, Ji Wan'er said, "It becomes jelly because there's something inside the pigskin that turns into jelly when it cools down. Think about it, if we stew fish at home and there are leftovers, don't they turn into jelly if they're left for a long time?"

Zi An had no recollection of such a thing. In his memory, whenever there was meat dish, there were no leftovers.

Yun Shuang had some recollection though. "Yes, some leftover fish during the Chinese New Year would turn into jelly. But they weren't as solid as this."

"Yes, that's it," Ji Wan'er concluded. "Let's eat the noodles quickly before they get cold and lose their taste."

Ji Wan'er started eating with her chopsticks, and the others began to have their meal as well.

Ji Wan'er's habit of drinking the soup first while eating noodles remained the same.

Although Yun Shuang and Zi An were very curious about the pork jelly, they didn't dare to eat it because their older brother and sister-in-law hadn't touched their chopsticks at the table.

Fortunately, Xiao Qingming reached for the pork jelly with his chopsticks.

Yun Shuang and Zi An finally felt brave enough to try it as well.

The pork jelly was made beautifully, with a crystal-clear appearance and small pieces of white pigskin embedded inside.

It didn't look like a dish but rather like a work of art.

Unfortunately, because it was crystal-clear and had a smooth surface, it was not easy to pick up with chopsticks.

Xiao Qingming tried a few times and finally managed to pick up a piece.

Once it entered his mouth, it was indeed as smooth and tender as it appeared, with a satisfying elasticity. The small piece of pigskin inside was fragrant and chewy. The whole piece of pork jelly was refreshing, cool, and had a hint of garlic flavor. It was different from any food he had eaten before, giving him a unique sensation.

Although he wasn't particularly concerned about food, he could still discern whether something tasted good or not.

Yun Shuang and Zi An also made several attempts to pick up the pork jelly.

Especially Zi An, after failing to pick it up multiple times, he simply used a single chopstick to stab it and brought the pork jelly to his mouth.

"It smells so good, full of meaty flavor!" Zi An said straightforwardly. After chewing for a moment, his eyes lit up. "There's actually meat inside!"

He was referring to the pigskin inside the pork jelly.

The pork jelly is made from boiling pigskin and adding various seasonings, so naturally, it's delicious.