Chapter 38: Coming Back

While Xiao Qingming wasn't particularly noticeable when he was at home, once he left, Ji Wan'er felt an emptiness as if something was missing. Even when she went to sleep at night, she couldn't quite find peace of mind.

Xiao Qingming had been gone for a few days, and Ji Wan'er felt quite low, but she had to continue with her business.

On this day, Ji Wan'er was sitting at the counter lost in thought when she saw two familiar figures entering the door.

Aunt Zeng, unaware of their recent status, greeted them as they approached.

"What would you like to eat?" she asked.

"Who is this servant girl? Do we need your greetings when we come to our own shop?" Zhou Shi said impolitely.

Ji Wan'er raised an eyebrow.

Based on her memory and the behavior of the people from the old residence that day, she found it strange that they hadn't caused trouble in the shop. It turned out they were waiting for her here.

Aunt Zeng was confused and looked at Zhou Shi, then at Ji Wan'er.

Ji Wan'er motioned to her, indicating that she should go to the back and help, while she stayed here.

"Our own shop?" Ji Wan'er's lips curled slightly.

Zhou Shi smiled and said, "Of course, this is our Xiao family's shop."

Zhao Shi followed up, "Niece-in-law, I don't think you're cut out for doing business. You're spending money to hire so many people. Let them go, and it'll be enough with me and your third aunt."

After leaving the thatched house that day, the old residence indeed remained cautious for a few days. After all, Xiao Qingming's appearance was truly terrifying. However, only Li Shi, Zhao Shi, and Zhou Shi had seen Xiao Qingming's appearance. Xiao Qingming's grandfather, eldest uncle, and third uncle didn't share the same sentiment.

After a few more days had passed, Zhao Shi and Zhou Shi gradually realized that they had been overthinking things, and perhaps Xiao Qingming wasn't as formidable as they had imagined.

Later, they arrived in town. In fact, they had long wanted to cause trouble at the shop in town. However, at first, they remained inactive and observed from the sidelines for a while, secretly calculating how much money the shop could earn in a day.

After some calculations, they estimated that Ji Wan'er could earn fifty wen in a day. This estimation was low because they were unaware of the price of the tofu nao.

Later on, considering Xiao Qingming's presence, they decided to wait until he left before making their move. After all, Ji Wan'er was foolish. If Xiao Qingming wasn't around, the shop would be even easier to take over.

Their plan was that not all of them needed to come; Zhou Shi and Zhao Shi would be enough. They would start off by taking a soft approach, secretly learning the craft in the shop. Once they had learned enough, they would decide what to do. If Ji Wan'er behaved obediently, they would let her stay in the shop, but if she didn't listen, they would drive her away.

Zhou Shi agreed, "Yes, yes, your eldest aunt and I can definitely take care of this shop."

Wait, are they trying to snatch the shop? Ji Wan'er laughed; these two were treating her like a fool.

When she first arrived after getting married, the original owner was indeed deceived by Zhou Shi and Zhao Shi, and she ended up spending a significant portion of her dowry.

However, she was no longer the original owner.

Ji Wan'er completely ignored their words and changed the topic, saying, "Eldest Aunt and Third Aunt are my elders. How can I boss you around?" Now it has turned into ordering servants.