Chapter 19

" On your left....!!!" Max yelled to his brother as he stayed a demon attacked him.

"I told you...this is a bad idea...!!" Rafe responded to his brother's yell.

"Max, use your magic... these are mutans, not ordinary demons." He added in frustration.

When they started fighting, Max sensed something strange as well. The demons are displaying certain distinct characteristics, such as battling with strategy and greater power. This type is known as a mutant, and it appeared two or three times in the preceding years. And every shadow hunter who came upon them died. There were few facts recorded about them because they vanished completely from the shadow world one day.

Max used his power, but it was reflected back to him, causing him to fly across the room at full speed.

"Maxxxxx!!!!" Rafe shouted in worry.

The demons attacked with full force and appeared to be employing warlock powers as well. Rafe was also tossed to the ground, next to Max, who is now coughing up blood.

"We'll leave one alive to tell the tale,"
A demon grinned to the young shadow hunters.

"Maybe it was a bad idea...." Rafe stared as Max murmured.

"Stay away from my SONS!!!"

In the dungeon, a voice shouted, freezing everyone in the chamber. There stood Alexander in all his grandeur, his hands ready with an arrow and his eyes full of fire with Jace. Max and Rafe gazed at him, who was soon busy killing those mutants.

"Are you ok oh my god it's blood are you hurting?" Alec was terrified when he saw his sons condition especially Max who was covered in blood.

"You..."Max was mumbling, unsure of what was real and what was a dream.

"Who told you to go so unprepared...?Rafe, at the very least, you should have shown some common sense..."

Alec whisper yelled to his sons. Rafe and Max were both crying as they looked at him. They recognize their father in him. Alec's breath caught in his throat as he stared at his children, who were now looking miserable. It was his children, the young children, that Magnus brought home, the ones who made them parents, who made him father; he can't even think of what his children had been through all these years.

"Rafe....Blueberry I'm very sorry." Alec sobbed as he hugged his sons.

"Dad... "Their voices were scarcely audible above a whisper.

"Yeah I'm here.... dad is here everything is gonna be alright dad is here ok.." Alec sought to reassure his sons, who appeared to be about to pass out.

"You're back...you're back...you're back..." After you went, no one called me blueberry...." Max sobbed as all of his emotions burst forth at once. Alec is at a loss as to how to comfort his crying son.

"How....you said... you're not..." Rafe inquired, dazed.

"It's ok ...I'm here, let's go home, and I'll explain everything..." Alec wiped his own tears and assisted Max in standing up, while Jace assisted Rafe. Alec drew a rune, and a portal appeared, leading them to the institute.

.
.
.

"How's he doing...?"
Jace inquired as he gazed at Max's sleeping form.

He's fine, I suppose....it was a lot to take in..." Alec responded.

It took a lot of effort to console his sons. All of the feelings that had built up inside them were shattered in an instant. For the rest of the world, they must be high councilor and the fiercest shadow hunters, but for them and Alec, they were just kids who had lost their father at a young age.

"Where is Rafe...?" Jace inquired.

"He got a call from Idris"

"You should go and check on Magnus Alec..." Jace shifted his gaze to his parabatai.

"I don't know how to face him...Jace...i hurt him" . Alec's gaze was fixed on the ground.

"Alec You can't avoid him; he needs to know you're back after everything he's been through; he deserves the truth."

Rafe came through the door with a medicine bowl before Alec could respond.

"I agree with Uncle Jace, Dad." Max isn't going to wake up for a time, so go meet Baba while I stay with Max."

"I'll meet your baba but now I know both my kids need me I'm not gonna leave you behind" .

"Dad....we're fine," Rafe argued.

"Rafe is right baba.... I'm fine" .

Max's voice was hoarse now that he was awake. Alec approached him.

"No, your energy is being reflected back to you and attacked you... blueberry, you're going to stay in bed till I say so, and furthermore" Alec turned to his oldest son "Who permitted you both to go on missions like this... without any planning and backup.... you know what... you both are grounded." 

Rafe stood there stunning, Max gulped in fright, and Jace tried hard not to laugh.

"Dad I can't be grounded I'm the council head" . Rafe begged for mercy.

"One more word, and you'll no longer be the head of the council," Alec said sternly, and Rafe and Max knew they were done.

"Do I sound clear...?"

"Yes dad,"

Both of them said in unison and that was the queue for Jace who burst out laughing.

"Dad, go see Baba; we'll make sure Uncle Jace doesn't bother you, Max added, smiling."

Alec chucked on recollections of every time Jace interrupted him and Magnus's moment in the past.

"But i can't leave you both like this Alec tried to reason" .

"He is right....dad you both need to sort things together we'll be there in the morning" . Rafe agreed with his brother, but he also understands that both of his parents require some alone time.

"Go Alec we'll take care of them" .

"Fine," Alec said, sighing.

"What about you both coming with me?" Alec inquired.

"Oh, I prefer no to that dad... even after all these years, I still have nightmares about you two eating each other's mouths. I don't wanna witness it again".

Rafe said with a straight face, which made Alec's cheeks flush. Alec cleared his throat, trying to avoid the laughter of others.

"Ok home at 7'O clock in the morning sons" . Alec said this after hugging his sons and exiting via a gateway.

"Our dad is back...Rafe...!!!" Soon after Alec left, Max said in pure joy,
"He is!" Rafe hugged his brother and  Jace smiled at them as they're progressively returning to their old selves which was entirely lost after they lost Alec in the past.