CHAPTER 18

Love makes your soul crawl out from its hiding place.

----------------------☠️🌸--------------------

...[low, menacing music plays]...

...[police radio chatter]...

This story is about to take a dark turn.

....[dogs barking]...

...[sirens wailing]...

Usually, I love dark turns.

Bright yellow and white light continued to flash in the dark as several police with their dogs searched for someone in the dark forest.

Like when the carousel brakes mysteriously failed at my eighth birthday party.

The police searching continued as they looked all over the area to find any traces of Rowan's dead body.

But not this one.

...[barks]...

...[sighs]...

"We've been searching for hours, Sheriff. The dogs need a break. Think we missed something?" The female police informed while huffing and puffing because of being tired.

"I say we double back, sweep Collet Creek, and then call it a night." The Sheriff ordered while looking around.

"Okay." The female acknowledged.

_______________☠️🌸______________

..[gloomy, bombastic music plays]..

"How could you miss a dead body?" Wednesday asked shockingly.

As Wednesday, Sheriff and Principal Weems continued to walk down the hall of the academy towards Principal Weems' office.

" 'Cause it wasn't there." Sheriff Galpin informed as he glanced towards Wednesday.

"No footprints, no blood, no sign of a struggle. Nothing, nada. My search party looked all night." Sheriff Galpin continued.

"Well, your search party must have left their seeing-eye dogs at home." Wednesday said with a tone of irritation.

"I saw that monster kill Rowan right in front of me." Wednesday informed as the three climb up the stairs to principal Weems office.

"Get a good look at this monster thing?" The Sheriff asked.

"It didn't stick around for a chat." Wednesday said with sarcasm.

"Maybe it was one of your classmates." Sheriff suggested.

"Sheriff, I find that question offensive." Principal Weems snapped as she turned around to look towards the Sheriff, holding the rail of the stairs.

Sheriff snapped back and said rudely,"I don't care, 'cause I got three other dead bodies in the morgue. Hikers just ripped apart in the woods."

"The mayor said those were bear attacks." Principal Weems said, confused.

"Well, the mayor and I disagree on that." Sheriff answered back.

"So you automatically assume a Nevermore student is the murderer, even though there's no evidence a crime was even committed." Principal Weems said with a protective tone.