Valak The Memory Demon Plays Cupid

Serena still had yet to say a word as she led them into a warehouse that was eerily empty, all of them with their weapons at the ready.

"Magnus's lair is right behind that fence," Izzy said as she pointed it out.

"Magnus lives in a warehouse?" Clary asked.

"Not exactly. Warlock glamour," Jace explained and Serena finally realised what that feeling in the pit of her stomach was.

"Something's wrong," she noted. "We're too close. Magnus would never let us get this close. His wards are down."

Alec turned on Clary. "You," he said as she looked at him. "Don't get in the way."

Clary only glared at him before Serena took off running. "Oh, god! Valentine found Magnus!" she exclaimed as she saw a rogue Shadowhunter fighting a warlock, the fight that Serena was running towards.

Her heels clicked on the concrete, her fake nails long gone as she gripped onto her sword and called, "ZOE!"

A young warlock girl was crying over the body of her father, begging him to wake up and leaving her back completely exposed to the sword that was going to come down and take off her head. At least it would've had Serena's sword not gotten in the way.

She blocked the strike as she kicked the man away and Zoe ran towards her.

"Serena!" she cried as she clung to the Shadowhunter, a person her father and Magnus had always told her to trust. Serena shielded her with her body as stood in a defensive position, ready to protect Zoe.

The bald man smirked at her as he readied his sword again. "Serena Wayland. Still sympathizing with the Downworld, I see. Valentine will love the opportunity to kill you."

"It's Lightwood," the blonde said calmly as she still hugged Zoe to her back.

"Huh?" the man asked, his arm paused above his head. He was confused, to say the least, as Serena lowered her sword.

"My name is Serena Lightwood."

And Izzy's whip wrapped around his arm. He raised his sword to cut her whip into ribbons, but he didn't get the chance as Jace sent a throwing knife into his heart and the Circle member fell to the ground.

Serena nodded thanks to her parabatai before giving her brother nothing but a brief glance. "Come on, honey. Let's get you back to Magnus," she said to Zoe as she kept an arm around her, careful to keep her gaze off her fallen father. If there was anyone that understood her pain, it was Serena.

********************************

"Thank you for the help, Alexander," Magnus said as he inspected the body of the dead Shadowhunter now sprawled on his floor. He'd been responsible for the death of several warlocks, taking delight in stealing their Marks before killing them. He died too quickly after Alec shot an arrow through his leg and Magnus used his magic to finish the job.

"Anytime," he replied as he returned his second arrow to his quiver. The surviving warlocks began gathering their things now that the fight was over, ready to flee again, and this time not be found.

"Magnus," came Serena's voice as she walked in with Zoe under her arm.

The warlock sighed in relief as he dropped to his knees to hug the young girl. "Go with the others, my dear. This is no place for you," he whispered to her and she nodded as another warlock came to guide her away.

"You truly are an angel, Angel," Magnus said to Serena. "You saved Zoe's life."

"Not her father's though."