Downworld Politics And Parallel Dimensions Also Give Serena A Headache

Seelies just loved making Serena's job harder. Not only had the Queen denied her offer for a meeting and now Meliorn had confessed that Clary had the Mortal Cup.

They'd raided Clary's room and Alec and Serena had helped her. It was to distract her but then they'd given Jace a choice - either Clary handed over the Cup to Lydia or they would. Jace, however, had other plans as he contacted Clary and had her do two things. The first was to draw a blocking rune to prevent Lydia and the others from tracking her and the second was to get to some place where the Clave wouldn't find her. And where the Jade Wolf would be the first place they'd look, they were left with one option, one person who could help not just her but Simon too.

"Have you lost your mind?" Raphael snarled when he saw who arrived on his doorstep. "A Shadowhunter and a werewolf? you do know this isn't a hotel."

"Technically it is."

"Even starvation can't shut you up," he snapped at Simon.

"Look, we just need someplace secure until we can figure out a plan," Clary insisted.

"These people never listen. Don't bother. Let's go," Luke said.

"You should put a muzzle on that mutt," Raphael said and Luke stopped dead in his tracks as Raphael's eyes settled on Clary. "The fledgling can stay. But you aren't exactly welcome after you barbecued half a dozen of my people."

"Let's go, please. I don't want any part of this," Simon begged her.

"There isn't any place else," Clary reminded him before her eyes sparkled with an idea. "If you won't listen to me - let's see if you'll listen to her."

She pulled out her phone and she never understood before why Jace had put her number in there. He said it was in case of an emergency and Clary doubted that she'd ever actually call this number but right now she wanted to kiss Jace for doing it.

"Who the hell is this?" the voice on the phone asked as Clary had it on speaker.

"Serena, it's Clary. I need your help."

"Where the hell are you? Every Shadowhunter in the city is looking for you right now! And how did you get my number?!"

"Jace gave it to me. Uh, listen, I'm here with Raphael. The Hotel DuMort is the last place the Clave would look for me and Raphael can help Simon. He's starving. Please, can you just talk to him?" Clary begged as Raphael clenched his jaw. This was a low move, tattling to Serena. There was a reason most Downworlders could hardly deny her.

"Give him the phone," Serena's voice commanded and Raphael took the device and held it to his ear.

"Hermosa," he greeted.

"Is what she's saying true?"

"Yes. Although, she seemed to leave out the fact that she showed up with her pet dog as well," Raphael goaded as Luke let out a low growl and Clary placed a hand on his arm.

"Raphael, please listen to me. The Clave is being the Clave which is a surprise to no one but not only do I have Seelies to deal with but the Clave is trying to get their hands on the Cup. Clary is the only one who can retrieve it so please, protect her for a few hours until I can straighten out this mess."

"The Clave does have a way of royally screwing things up," Raphael remarked.

"You're not wrong. But they are particularly helpful in cases like Camille's. I've already sent off a request for a warrant to arrest Camille but the entire thing in contingent on Simon's testimony. Help him, help Clary and you help me which helps you. Everybody gets what they want."