Simon Should Probably Start Writing A Breakup Song

The four of them walked through a snowing forest, the sunlight hitting the barren trees in the most enchanting of ways. Clary and Simon walked first on the trails, Jace and Serena behind them as they all had their own conversations.

"You know Alec is still jealous that you're bringing me to meet the Queen and not him?" Jace asked his twin who laughed.

"Yeah, well, he can deal with it. And he knows that there is no one else I'd trust to run the cabinet meetings in my absence."

"So you didn't send all the faction leaders and delegates a fire message warning them to be on their best behaviour?" Jace questioned with a grin and Serena rolled her eyes.

"What Alec doesn't know won't hurt him. And it's his first big meeting alone, a little help doesn't hurt."

Jace laughed before he grabbed her arm and pretended to gag.

"What?" she questioned before he nodded in front of them to where Simon and Clary were talking.

"You know, for a dangerous mission, the Seelie Court's pretty romantic," Simon commented.

"It's like being dropped inside a fairytale," Clary agreed as she smiled. "Which makes sense, I mean faeries do live here."

The trio didn't realise that Simon had lagged behind them as he caught a scent. "Is that blood?" he'd said as he walked over to a large tree that was dripping with a black liquid. Simon put his hand on a branch to get a better look at it, not realising that he'd squashed three bugs under his glove.

"Simon get away from there!" Serena yelled as her brother sped to the vampire and threw him away from the tree.

"What the hell are you doing?!" Simon asked, pissed off as Serena ran over to him and ripped his glove from his hand, cupping it gingerly before she dropped to her knees. Her motions were frantic but methodical as she began to bury the glove in the dirt.

"Saving you. As usual," Jace answered.

"From a tree?"

"That is called a Kill Tree. It would've wrapped its vines around you and torn you limb from limb," Serena explained before she inhaled a great breath. Something in the air shifted as she began chanting in the language of the Seelies.

"What the hell are you talking about? And what the hell are you doing?" Clary asked Jace and then Serena.

"Serena is trying to save our lives. And that tree almost tore Simon's pretty face off," Jace said.

"You think I'm pretty?" Simon smirked and Serena rose from the ground.

"Ave Atque Vale. Hail and Farewell. May you find peace in the presence of the Angel," she muttered before turning on Simon. Her footsteps crunched in the snow before she balled up her fist and slogged Simon right in the nose.

"Serena! What the hell?!" Clary exclaimed as she checked on Simon and Jace tried not to smile.

"You just signed our death warrants. We'll be lucky to leave here alive," she spat at him before she started walking.

"Everything is deadly here. Don't touch or eat or smell anything. No matter how small," was all that Jace said before storming after his sister.

And both Simon and Clary had no idea what had just happened and even less of an idea about what was to come.

********************************

Serena remembered how enchanting it had been when she walked into the Palace for the first time. And even now when she'd lost count of how many times she'd been here, it never ceased to amaze her.