Chapter 22

Nari was back in New York but this time with Jungkook. After spending most of December back in Korea, they flew to New York for the New Year's Eve dinner/party at Alex's aunt's house in Queens.

If it was up to Nari, she would've stayed in Brooklyn but she had to go back to work for the two weeks before Christmas.

She spent Christmas with Jungkook's family since her parents didn't really celebrate it. Growing up, Nari and Matthew would spend it with their grandparents but that was before they died so...

"What should I bring for everyone?" Jungkook asked.

"Bottles of whiskey for the uncles would be okay and I'll get something for the aunties." Nari answered before taking a sip of her pinot noir.

They were sitting along the Manhattan beach drinking wine she had bought. "We'll go buy them tomorrow." She added. "Just a heads up, Esmeralda is going to make sure you eat."

"Really?"

"Mmh, that's why I was a bit chubby in middle school." She nodded. Nari downed the last of her wine and put the foam cup next to her.

Jungkook looked at Nari and wrapped an arm around her body. The sounds of cars driving filled the air and the bright lights coming from the skyscrapers lit up the dark night.

They had been sitting at the beach for about an hour and were close to finishing the bottle Nari bought at the liquor store close to her parents' penthouse.

She was dressed in a pair of black sweatpants and a Hybe hoodie she stole from Jungkook's closet while he wore a similar outfit. Though he swapped the sweatpants for a pair of cargo pants.

Nari had strayed off topic and started rambling about how she and Alex would always go to Brighton Beach every Monday and Friday after doing their homework.

She told Jungkook about how Alex had an older cousin that worked as a lifeguard at the beach so Esmeralda was less reluctant to let them go. On some days when they wouldn't be at the beach, they would take the train to Queens where they would visit Daniela, another one of Alex's cousins.

Maybe they were too young to be taking the train but as long as they got back home by six, they didn't see anything wrong with it.

"Are you hungry? I'm hungry," Nari asked. "We should get dinner."

"Good idea. I could go for some Italian right now." Jungkook agreed loosening his hold on Nari. "Oo yes, I know a place that has good pasta." Nari's eyes lit up at the thought.

After standing up from the rocks, Jungkook helped Nari back onto her feet by pulling her up by her arms. "It's not far from here so we can walk there." Nari said. "Living in New York is really one big exercise." Jungkook stated taking Nari's hand in his.

"Honestly speaking, I miss it though I do not appreciate the lack of visible stars and the smell of garbage everywhere."

"I wouldn't raise my hypothetical kids here." She concluded as they walked off the beach after they discarded the foam cups and wine bottle. "You want kids in the future?" He asked. "Maybe like one or two, what about you?"

"I don't know but I do want children, just not now." Jungkook answered making Nari nod.

"Mmh, if you asked me a year ago if I wanted kids, I would've said no but ever since volunteering in the children's ward, I do." She looked up at him. "In a few years maybe."

The conversation had been overdue. The two had been dating for five months and practically lived with each other.

They were the epitome of a serious relationship.