Doubt

I dropped my bag into the bed before making my way over to the glass door.

————————

I slid the door open and walked out on the balcony. I had a small walkway down to the pool. I smiled and gazed out at the ocean holding the railing before walking down the small set of steps. I started to slow down gazing around me in excitement. I was in love with this place and the atmosphere was so pure.

"Ash go put your bathers on" Bree yelled from in the pool. I raised my hand above my brows trying to see her.

"Okay" I replied the sun blinding my eyes.

I turned around and quickly headed back inside. I grabbed my suitcase and lifted it onto the bed and opened it up searching for a swimsuit. I through my things around before I pulled out a white 2 piece I lifted it up to look at it with a raised eyebrow. I hadn't tried it on before and it looked tiny. Jai never knew my size in anything.

I started to undress and pulled on the swimmers. I turned around and looked into the big mirror placed on the floor giving me a full view. It fit perfectly. Maybe Jai did know my size. The bottoms hugged around my hips and the top covered mostly everything. The scars that covered my body were constant reminders, each having its own distressing story. I hated wearing swimsuits because it revealed every single one of my scars. That was why I had never worn this swimsuit before.

I pulled my hair forward over my collarbone, hiding the scar Tom had given me. Though I had a lot more scars from him that was the most disturbing and upsetting one. Or maybe I shouldn't bother hiding it. I could show him that I had grown, and he didn't scare me anymore. Though, in reality, he still did, I didn't want to seem weak. I wanted him to know he didn't affect me anymore.

I turned from the mirror and walked up to the closet. I opened it and smiled while pulling out a towel. I walked out of the sliding door quietly shutting it behind me. I dropped the towel on a surrounding and table and quickly paced to the pool. Bree looked at me from in the pool before I jumped in. I surfaced and looked at her laughing.

"Ashley I didn't want to get my hair wet" she said annoyed as I continued to laugh.

"This place is amazing" I spoke while swimming to the end of the pool that was hanging over a beautiful ocean.

"It really is" Bree smiled. "Bill another drink?" she softly added.

I looked over and noticed Bill's wide smile as he got up to walk inside. I turned and watched as Bree put her empty glass on the concrete. I spun back around and stared at the gorgeous view Infront of me.

"How did you like the wedding?" she said softly.

"Perfect!" I spoke, other than the fact she married one of the most feared men in Tokyo. They were twins they couldn't be that much different than each other.

"Phew" she laughed as I swam to her side. "You got along with some people" she continued.

"I don't remember half the night" I laughed as I watched Bill walk through the door.

"I assumed so" Bree laughed as she reached up for a drink, as I did to.

"Thank you" I smiled. Bill looked down at me confused. I tried to hide my smile.

"You're welcome" he said sarcastically before turning around and going back inside.

"Have you met Tom, Bill's brother yet?" Bree turned to me.

"No" I spat out quickly before taking a sip from my glass.

"Okay well I'll have to introduce you guys and the others. Lauren really liked you" she spoke with a smile as I turned and watched Bill walk out with another drink.

"Yeah Lauren was sweet" I replied before placing the drink in the concrete and swimming to ledge. "So, what did you say he does for work again?" I questioned.

"Something business. He doesn't tell me half of it.. I don't know" she said looking to him then back to me.

"Oh" I smiled turning around and looking at Bill for a moment.

I stood up and got out of the pool and sat on a laid-back chair by the pool. I leant back on my elbows and closed my eyes. Letting the UV burn my skin. I listened as Bree splashed around the pool by herself. I turned my head to her my eyes squinting.

"Bree can you pass me my drink?" I said with a sarcastic pleading smile.

"Fine" she rolled her eyes and swam to my drink and picking it up.

She swam closer to me before she stopped. "What happened?" she looked concerned. I looked down confused and stood up.

"Put the drink down I'm quickly going to go to the bathroom" I smiled before turning around. I made eye contact with Bill as I scurried away.

I walked inside quickly pacing around my room for a excuse. I mean she was bound to see it and she's always been nosy. Appendix I thought to myself. I walked back outside with a smile and sat back down on the chair before reaching for my drink.

"So, what happened?" she asked intently.

"I had my appendix removed a while ago" I replied softly.

"Really" she suspected.

"Yeah it had burst, and it was a urgent surgery" I said looking to her with a reassuring look.

"Well so did I but my scar doesn't look like that" she replied concerned.

"Lucky you" I laughed. "It got infected after the surgy" I added.

"Ouch" she replied.

I slowly slid back into the pool as Bree climbed out. I sunk in, just my head out of the water as I floated around the pool embracing the moment.

I turned around to Bill and watched him as he spoke to Bree on the chair next to him. His new look was much more intimidating, and I didn't know how to feel. He had such a pure heart, but his appearance said otherwise. He was now a lot taller, and he now had dreads with a few blonde streaks. His face was sharp and pale, but his eyes were always soft. Maybe he had changed his look to look more intimidating to others. I knew he hadn't changed since I had seen him last, but I had a deep feeling inside which kept me on my toes, and I knew not to let my guard down. I didn't want to doubt him but the constant feeling that it was my duty to protect Bree influenced those thoughts.

I turned back to the ocean and sighed. I needed to tell her the truth. Maybe not now but soon. I wanted to keep it from her, but u felt wrong to. I sipped on my drink as I watched the sun slowly set and the sky change colour. My thoughts ran free in my mind, but I always reassured myself that I had found myself again and I would never let anyone throw me off. I was strong and feared in Rome and I needed to keep that same energy. Tom wouldn't dictate how I felt. He was the past. He couldn't do shit to break me down now. I needed to ignore him and enjoy my time here with the others.