The Dream

The house is silent. But it's 7 am on a Thursday morning! Mommy daddy and Justin should all be awake and in the kitchen, making breakfast and joking about me sleeping so late. I hop out of bed grab my teddy bear and step into the hallway. That's when I hear the commotion. I held the small stuffed bear to my small chest,rapidly rising and falling. A bottle crashed against the wall and I heard my father yell. My mother made no noise. I pressed my back to the door and closed my eyes. I tried to block out the war in the kitchen but it was hopeless. Another crash. A yelp of pain from my mother. A door slam. Silence. My brother's footsteps raced down the hallway. i heard daddy yell again and the next thing I knew, a car roared to life outside my window. I ran to the window and peered into the night. I watched the beat up truck speed away with my brother inside. I sighed and sat on the ground,collecting myself before facing my mother. I quietly made my way downstairs. I saw my mother leaning against the fridge,mascara trailing down her beautiful face. "Hi pumpkin," she weakly smiled. The force of her lips pulling apart caused them to crack own an bleed. A gash over her eyebrow was slowly releasing blood. "Mommy," I whispered "Come here baby," she motioned with her arms. I slowly made my way over to her still holding the worn bear. Mommy held me in her arms. "I'm sorry baby," she started "you shouldn't have to go through this after all you-" I cut her off "I'm only three.." I said repeating the words she had so often mumbled. "That's right baby," she said . A lonely drop of mommy's blood fell on my teddy bear. I closed my eyes with a sigh and fell asleep.

It was morning. The sunlight was pouring through the kitchen window. There was no sound through the house. Everything was still. I twisted around to look at mother. Her once beautiful face was now pale as a ghost. There were scratches all over her body. Her eyes were swollen an one was bruised. The wound on her forehead had finally stopped bleeding. But only because mommy had stopped breathing.