Chapter 10 - New Rules

I am going to do a little twist this time... can you figure it out by the time you're done reading?

ღღღღღღღ

Chapter 10 - New Rules || Cassidy's POV

"Mic check. 1. 2. 3."

I forgot how I hated those kinds of mic checks that could just ruined your ear drums. I guess the program is getting started.

I see people walking around less and the audience is almost filled.

"Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the elementary Spelling Bee Contest! I'm your host, Laura, and our judges are Ms. Victoria, our very own discipline officer, a round of applause." Ms. Victoria stood up from her seat and took a curtsy.

"On the right side of our very beautiful D.O. is Ms. Marvil, our English department head, looking good, Ms. M." Laura winked at her, as if they were close. Hmm, maybe they are.

"And our last judge is...... have you guys guessed yet? We intentionally left it blank to surprise the audience and the judge itself. This year, we have changed some rules a little, so you guys better listen up!" Laura informed us. All of the audience gave each other a confused look. We have the same rules since.... Forever.

"There is a lot of changing of rules going on now and then," I said to no one in particular.

"I don't think one of the new rules is likable, either," Connor said beside me.

"We have collected all the names of the teachers and high school students who are right here, in this gymnasium, and we are going to raffle it and whoever owns the name I call in, please come out of where you are sitting and come up right here!" Laura said cheerfully. The audience clapped whilst some students are nervous. How could they let anyone just judge this event? What if they are not appropriate for being the judge? How could they compare to the English Department head and the D.O.? Also, the students who are on extra credits attendance not only going to watch this event but would probably wish they have a good luck because this day is getting worse.

"Now, who would this lucky person be?" Laura chuckled then her hand kept on searching for the paper inside the ball. I never noticed that ball around here.

"Is it possible to call out someone who is a helper?" I asked nervously.

"Unfortunately, she said all the people in here. So if you're a high school student and in the gymnasium, then you're in that box," Connor said, pointing at the raffle box.

I curled my fingers, wishing Connor would say otherwise. "You do have a point," I mumbled.

"Of course I do," he said with a smile. For the first time, I looked at Connor's eye closely. It was.... dreamy. I know it sounds cliché in the stories at how they sparkle and shines but Connor's different. His eyes are dark brown, so heavenly. Like chocolate. That's how dreamy and heavenly it is. I think I'm craving for chocolates.

I didn't know I was staring it for too long until Connor snapped me.

"I know girls fall their heels over my attractive features, but I didn't know you're one of them," he winked at me.

I can feel my face turning apple red and faced away to him. I punched his arm, not so lightly, and I was satisfied to hear him grumble a few words that are not appropriate for elementary students. Instead of thinking about how I embarrassed myself, I turned to Laura. She's picking out a name that's one in thousands of students here so there's a slim chance that she will even pick me.

"Come on stage ..." there was a long pause and Laura gave a smile.

This is way too suspense.

You could hear birds chirping outside and the silence is way worse than the screeching noise of the mic a while ago.