Chapter eleven

After all of that craziness had gone on, Sora and I were eventually released with teary eyes into my bedroom to collect all of my belongings.
I couldn't believe I was really leaving...
My heart felt heavy. As I went through my things, stuffing them in bags, I talked to Sora, who was leisurely glancing around my room as he leaned against the wall, over my shoulder.
"So, you want to explain that to me?"

"What?"

"How did you manage to make that seem so believable? And on the spot? I thought for sure that you wouldn't be able to come up with anything, I don't have any outstanding traits..."

"Well, you thought wrong."

I tucked a strand of my hair behind my ear. My smile, huh...
"Wait, have you ever even seen me smile before?"

"Yes.."

I looked at him, and he looked back with the same unreadable face. ".... But I've never smiled for you..."
It was true.. I'd been unhappy in this situation so he surely wouldn't have seen my smile...
Sora didn't say anything.
My brows drew together. Why can't you respond...? Even though he said nothing, I wouldn't press any further.... For now.

•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•

After some time, my things had been packed and ready to go. I stared back at my room, stripped and empty, as though I had never been there. I didn't know I was so attached to this room...
And yet, my chest felt tight...
I'd lived here my whole life... I felt like I was going off to college. Too soon...
I was snapped back to reality by the hand that rested on my shoulder. As I turned, it was Sora, urging me to go along with him. It was strange... His hand was surprisingly understanding and gentle in spite of his usual stiff, unemotional demeanor.
"...."
Still, I didn't say anything as I followed Sora down the stairs, pulling my things along behind me.
Before long, saddened farewells were exchanged, and within moments, I had completely detached myself from my house. We hadn't gotten far down the road back to the shrine when Sora abruptly stopped walking. Confused, I turned to him.

"Sora..? What's..."

My sentence was cut short as Sora leaned towards me and wiped a finger across my cheek. Before I could question it, he held it up for me to see. There on his finger was a warm, glistening tear.
A tear...?
I was...
I reached a hand up to my face in surprise. It's true.. I was... Crying...?
"... Wh... I..."
I didn't know what to say... I was this upset...?
It was only for a split second, but for a moment, I thought I saw him frown. I didn't have time to question it before Sora took me by the hand and proceeded to gently lead me off. I couldn't help but blush, just a little...
His hand was warm.