Chapter fifteen

I didn't know how well I'd be able to act around him after that.
I was so embarrassed... What was I thinking? Petting him?!
I was losing my mind.... What could I say to him...?
I was so ashamed, unable to explain what I'd done. I expected him to avoid me. I bit my lip. Hopefully he wouldn't bring it up...

=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*

Making that move from the bedroom was the most awkward part. I slipped into the kitchen quietly, where Sora was nonchalantly making himself some breakfast.
"... G... Goo.." My voice was like the squeak of a mouse. "... Go... Good m-morning..."
Way to play it cool...
Sora didn't even look up at me as he responded in his usual flat tone.
"Morning."
I blinked a little. That was it...? Maybe he was going to leave it after all...
Surprisingly, I wasn't just relieved... Also... A bit hurt...
Why was that, I wonder...

*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*

By the end of the day, Sora hadn't brought it up once. I was on edge the entire day, worried that he would, but in the end, there was nothing. We'd hardly even spoken, in fact.
Why did I feel upset by that? Why on earth would I want him to bring up something like that??
Maybe... Maybe I just wanted to hear him admit that he liked it...
As much as I tried to shake such strange thoughts away, it was always there creeping in the back of my mind. I wondered why Sora hadn't said anything...
He remained quiet as he climbed into bed for the night. Maybe it was just my imagination, but... He seemed to be keeping tighter to his side this time. He was avoiding me?
I didn't know what to think...
But maybe that was better.
My thoughts weren't safe in this house.
Biting my lip, I curled up on my side, and said nothing. I wondered if something was up with him... He'd been acting so strangely. Was that just me?
"... Sora?"

He responded a moment later than I'd expected, his voice soft, but nonetheless as condescending as usual.

"... Yes?"

"Are you alright?" I blurted the question without even thinking. My heart sped up as my words filled the air, and I started to worry if maybe I shouldn't have said anything.
I looked in his direction from the corner of my eye, and he was looking at me strangely.
"I'm fine... Why do you ask?"
I hesitated for a long moment before resting my face against the pillow.
"... Its nothing."