Chapter thirty five

I wouldn't regret this, right?
Before I'd even realized it, me and Sora's stalker were snuggled uncomfortably close together in Sora's bed. I could hear my own heartbeat in my ears against the silence. This was awkward...
I nearly jolted off my side of the bed as Kyoko abruptly spoke. "... How long have you been Sory's familiar?"
I was confused by the question, but nevertheless answered in a soft voice, "... Couple weeks..."

"Wow, that long huh...?" She let another pause hang in the air before saying with a smile in her voice. "That's plenty of time to fall in love."
My heart leapt into my throat. "L-Love...?! What're you..."

"Oh, come on. It's really obvious."

I tugged the covers up to hide my face. "That obvious...?"
I heard Kyoko give a quiet laugh that rang like bells. "You fell hard, didn't you.." I pulled the covers back just enough to peek over at her. She was looking up at the ceiling with a serene face, thoughtful. "I know how you feel..." And I believed herー I could hear it in her voice. She still didn't look at me as she went on. "But it took me so long to realize how much he meant to me... Centuries too long."
How old WERE these people...??
Kyoko gave a light laugh. "Once I realized it, I was a mess... It was so overwhelming. I fell so hard for him..."
I was silent as I listened to her. Even as she spoke I could hear the deep affection for him dripping from her tone. She really loved Sora...
She finally turned to face me. "But you know... I think it's time I let him go."
My eyes widened. "Kyoko...."
Let him go? But that was such a difficult thing to do... And she loved him so much.
"Why would you...?"
She smiled at me reassuringly. "Maybe you don't see it... But I do."

"See... What...?"

"The way that he looks at you."

My heart fluttered and my cheeks flushed warm. The way he looked at me..? "Wh... Wh... What do you mean...?"
Kyoko laughed wholeheartedly, but didn't answer, turning and rolling onto her side away from me. "I'm glad we had this talk, Ayano."
I didn't know how to answer.
All I knew was that I couldn't stop the pounding of my heart.