Chapter eighteen

I don't think I'd ever been so worried sick about someone.
Sora's body was in such bad shape...
With the help of Yuto, I treated him on the bed, his head laying in my lap. It felt like a worried frown was permanently etched in my face. Sora... What happened to you...?
Yuto let out a sigh as he screwed the lid to the ointment back on. "Ayano, please don't make such a face... It makes my heart hurt.."
I exhaled, not looking away from Sora's face. "Im sorry, Yuto... I can't help it."
Who did this to him...?
Yuto climbed to his feet, gathering the first aid in his arms. "I'll make soup, so just stay with him for a while, alright?"
I nodded. "Kay.."
Sora...
The room was quiet once Yuto left.
There was only me and Sora, and the quiet sound of his shaky breathing. I bit my lip. Something really bad must've happened to him... I couldn't help wishing I could've been more helpful..
My heart rate accelerated as the silence was brought to an abrupt end at the sound of Sora groaning softly. My breath caught.
"Sora...?" I called gently. Was he coming to...?
He grunted again before his eyelids cracked open, his sharp green gaze piercing mine.
He was awake...
He groaned. "What happened..."
"I don't know, but you're pretty hurt... Where on earth did you go...?"
He didn't answer me, and tried to sit up. Tried; and failed, as I pulled him back to my lap. "Don't try and get upー you're hurt," I scolded with a frown.
He looked up at me, unamused.
"Geez, you're always like that..."
My brows drew together. "Always...?"
He shook his head, raising a hand to rub his temples. "Nothing. Forget I said anything."
I frowned. You're so strange, Sora..
He looked back at me after a moment. "What are you so worried about anyway? I'm fine.."
"You are not," I protested, scowling him down. "You're hurt..."
"It's no big deal. Let me up."
"No, it is a big deal! Honestly, Sora, what the heck happened...?"
He stayed silent.
I paused before lowering my tone, speaking again. "It's okay, you know..."
I laid a hand gently on his head. "You can admit that it hurts... You know I'm here to help you. Don't lie..."
I wanted him to be honest with me...
He was always sticking his nose in my head, so the least he could do was share his thoughts every once in a while..
He was quiet for a minute. After a little while, he exhaled, rubbing his head. "... Yeah," he whispered. "... It hurts pretty bad."
My brows drew together and I leaned to cradle his head in my arms. ".. I'm sorry..."
It worked, he did it...
He opened up to me, even if it was only just a little...
That... Made me happy...
There was a silence that settled over us as I held him close. I suddenly found myself growing more uncomfortable as he exhaled, closing his eyes and relaxing into me. The tips of my ears felt warm. He didn't... Mind this...?
I swallowed.
The way I was bent over him, I could feel the tips of his ears tickling my chin. This position was a little...
Startling me out of my thoughts, I looked at him when Sora raised his hand, and felt my face warm when he placed it on my wrist. "Sora...?"
What was he...?
"... You know... I'll allow it... Just this once..."
I blinked.
"... Allow...?"
What was he...?
He looked at me as his ears bobbed.
"... My ears..."
My face burned. He...?!
"... Y... You mean...."
He gave a nod. I couldn't have blushed deeper. He knew I liked to... And I knew he liked it too, he couldn't hide it from me. But still, that was so...
Embarrassing...
After a long moment, I swallowed. Lacing my fingers through his hair, I leaned down and rested my forehead to his, lightly tracing my fingers down the backs of his ears.
"......"
I could hear a smile in his voice as he chuckled lightly, "... Thanks."