Chapter twenty six

Where was he taking me? Why was this happening...? I couldn't couldn't collect my thoughts, my mind whirling as I was roughly tugged down the halls of the unfamiliar shrine by Tarou, so much so that I could feel my skin reddening from the chafe of skin-on-skin.
What was going on...??
His touch hurt...
I found myself being aggressively yanked into a dark room, and the door slammed behind us. I squinted back the darkness, panicked and struggling to see him. What was happening...?
In moments, the pitch black peeled back enough I could see his gently illuminated silhouette, and quickly came to the realization that he was lighting the room up with several candles. Unsure of what to do, I timidly called to him. "Tarou...?"
He was muttering to himself under his breath as he finally lit up the room no bigger than a half bathroom, tables of candles on every corner. Finally, he turned to me, and I found I couldn't speak or swallow at the look in his eyes. My stomach churned. What was he doing...??
My body jolted as he roughly grabbed my shoulders. "Hold still."
Hold still?!
Before I could even think about squirming away at his unsettling command, my body was rooted to the floor from his mere grip, and I found that within moments, he'd forcefully crushed his lips to mine. My heart felt like it would burst from the surprise and discomfort, my fear boiling to the brim.
I'd seen this all beforeー he was making me his familiar.
No...! Help...!
In spite of my best efforts to pry him from me, my squirming and whimpering was in vain as he gripped me, holding me there for a few more seconds before parting. I glared daggers at him, and to my surprise, he looked displeased back at me.
"It didn't work," he hissed, turning away. "Damn... That fox must've already marked you..."
I felt relieved for a moment. Sora had actually protected me...
But the relief only lasted a brief moment as he faced me again, and my petrified gaze fell on a dagger in his hand. I couldn't swallow as he approached me again. "Don't worry," he assured in a low voice. "It won't hurt for more than a moment."
What was he doing?!
"Get away from me...!"
Frightened, I tried to get away, my back hitting the door as I struggled to open it, but it wouldn't budge, and Tarou quickly snagged my wrist. "I wouldn't have had to use force if you had only been willing... Now stay still..."
No...! Don't touch me!
Before I'd realized what I'd done, Tarou clutched his cheek. I'd slapped him hard across the face.
I gulped as he looked back at me, his eyes burning.
"You're going to regret that.."
I winced as he grabbed my arm so hard I thought my bones would break.
"You will be mine, woman! Don't move!"

"Stoー!!"

My cries were muffled as he forced his face to mine roughly once more, so much so it hurt. No...! Stop...!
A cold chill was enveloping me as I yelped against his mouth, feeling the cold steel of the dagger piercing me.
Someone please...!
Help...!
Sora...!
And in a moment, my heart stopped.
Tarou was no longer against me.
Everything was moving so quickly, if I'd blinked, I'd have missed it.
And there he was.
Suddenly the sight of him was enough to make hot tears sting the corners of my eyes.
"... Sora!"