Chapter thirty four

Reluctantly, I made my way back down the hall of the shrine towards the living room behind Sora, and spotted Kyoko on the couch, petting Yuto affectionately. So she did that to Yuto too... Good to know.
I tried to keep my thoughts collected. I had to keep it together and not make a scene... Besides, Sora didn't even belong to me. He wasn't mine, so there was no reason for me to get so defensive.
The moment Sora stepped into view, Kyoko saw him and her eyes lit up, her voice becoming shrill again. "Sory! There you are!"
I let out a quiet breath, hoping to stay calm. She's just his friend... Just a friend... I could do this. Rather than take a seat anywhere, I stayed at the far side of the room, leaned against the wall, hopefully with enough distance that I would stay out of the way and avoid any awkward situations I could.
Naturally, though, the moment Sora sat down again, the girl was already back at his side, practically in his lap. I tried to keep my head together and not let it get to me... How weak would I be to just let the moments like this worry me? I had to keep it together. No, I was determined to.
I said nothing as Sora and Kyoko continued to talk till evening. I gazed out the window. Dusk, huh... So I'd managed to make it this far. The others seemed to recognize how late it had gotten, too, and Kyoko leaned back to stretch. "So," she yawned. "Where do we sleep together, Sory?"
I rolled my eyes.
Sora turned to her nonchalantly. "Sorry, you and Ayano will have to share the bed."
I jerked up straight in surprise. Say wha?
Kyoko looked just as shocked as I did. "Share? Where are you sleeping??"

"Probably the couch. You said the couch hurts your back, right? So you and Ayano can sleep in my room."

My brows drew together. Was that really okay? Why didn't he and Kyoko stay in there and I take the couch?
Was it because he knew that made me uncomfortable...?
I bit my lip. There had to be another way...
"Your familiar can't take the couch??" Kyoko whined. "I really wanted to snuggle..."
"Sorry," was all Sora said in response.
I frowned. I wouldn't even mind taking the couch... Just what was Sora getting at?
"Well...if that's what you want, Sory."
The girl turned her eyes to me.
"We can girl talk!"
I couldn't help but think that her smile was so genuine and sweet...
"... Okay."