Chapter seventeen

True to his word, not long after saying so l, Sora had left, and Yuto and I saw him off. As the door closed behind him, I let out a sigh. What to do now...
Yuto turned to me. "Sora leaves a lot to go to things like this," he told me. "So I'm used to being left alone... I'm so glad I have you to stay with me now!"
I couldn't help smiling at him. He really was such a sweetheart... And he really lifted my spirits. I raised a hand and lightly scratched behind his puppy ear. "Yeah."
He grinned and leaned happily into my touch. His ears were soft too...
I sat in silence, petting him for a few moments; I couldn't help thinking back to when I'd touched Sora.. I stayed quiet. Yuto turned to glance at me. "Something wrong?"
I shook my head.
"No..." I eyed him for a second. "... Do you like this...?" I asked him too, referring to my hand which lightly rubbed the back of his ear. Not surprisingly, he nodded enthusiastically. "Yeah! It feels so nice.."
He was so cute...
I really couldn't help smiling.

=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=

The majority of my time was spent with Yuto, doing things like watching tv together or playing gamesー most of which included Yuto curling up in my lap at some point. It was nice. Though I'd been here for a while, I hadn't gotten to bond with him like this before, so I felt that we'd grown closer. He occupied my time. I didn't mind at allー he was a sweetheart... And super comforting. I'd almost forgotten that Sora ever left. I was grateful to him for helping me keep a clear mind...
We were quiet as we sat on the couch watching tv, Yuto curled in my lap as I cradled his head. After a moment, he started to speak. "... Sora's taking longer than usual..."
"Yeah...?"
"Mm.... I wonder if it's running long."
Another pause.
"... It really is nice to have you around here now..." He cooed, nuzzling closer. I smiled a bit. "Yeah? I'm glad... It was kind of scary being around a stranger for a while, but I think I've gotten used to life here..."
And that was true. It isn't everyday someone forces you to move out and live with them forever... And Sora was rather scary when we first met. Such blank eyes...
"... A stranger, huh...?"
I looked down at him. ".. Hm?"
Why did he say it like that...?
"Right... I guess you wouldn't remember something like that."
My brows drew together. "Yuto...?"
What was he talking about? Was I forgetting something? "... You met Sora before."
"... I.... Did...?"
My eyes widened in surprise. We've met?
"Well, I... Yeah, I used to come to the shrine all the time... But..."
Yuto shook his head. "No, not that. Guess you really don't remember..."
"Yuto...?"
I'd forgotten something...?
"... You see... A long time ago, youー"
Yuto's story was cut off as there was a sudden bashing sound at the front door. Yuto and I both flinched in fear and confusion and turned our eyes suspiciously to the door. We barely had time to stand before the door was thrown open and Sora fell in, collapsing in front of the door.
"SORA!"
Before I'd realized it, my body was moving on its own, and Yuto and I both quickly went over to him. In seconds id realized his body was battered and bruised; cut, even. My eyes were wide. What on earth had happened to him....?!