Chapter twenty five

After a long, painfully silent dinner that didn't satisfy me in the least, I stood from my chair, not looking directly at him as I excused myself. Naturally, he didn't just let me go. "Wait." He stood from his chair. Letting out a slow breath, I turned back to him, wearing a hard expression. I was growing tired of him... I wanted to get out now. Soon.
Sora...
The man eyed me dubiously. "Why are you being like this?"
I narrowed my eyes at him. "... What do you mean?"

"I can make you happy as my familiar, too. We'll be powerful together..."

I was surprised to see a sudden glint of sincerity in his dark eyes. "... I just want my life back."
I hesitated for a long moment. Oh, no... He'd gotten me to pity him.
But that didn't matter, this guy had kidnapped me...! This was wrong... He was crazy...
But... His eyes looked so... Sad....
I paused.
Maybe... I could help him.
I stared him straight on, looking at him resolutely. "Look," I started, my voice firm. "I have no intention of giving you anything, or stay here with you."
That was true. That was something I couldn't do.
"But..." I walked from where I was over to where he stood at his chair. "... I want to help you." My voice had lowered, and I was as calm and collected as possible. I wanted to reach out to him.
"... Please. Don't do something you'll regret."
He paused for a long moment, absorbing what I was saying to him. But I felt my chest tighten when his expression hardened. "It's too late for that."
Before I could answer, he'd grabbed my hand and started to pull me away down the hall. Oh no...