Chapter forty four

"Haruka?"
Sora looked up at me from where he sat on the edge of the porch early that morning. He set down his cup of tea and eyed me as I nodded, a little nervous about having asked. It'd taken some courage.
"Yeah... I haven't talked to her since the bus accident, and I mean..."
I'd never invited anyone over to the shrine before... I wasn't so sure he'd allow it. It was kind of a strange situation...
But Haruka was my best friend.
That had to hold some weight, right?
Seeming to mull it over, Sora stood from where he sat on the porch to stand in front of me.
"Mm, I don't mind..."
Relief washed over me. Yay...!
But the mini celebration was short lived as my heart leapt into my throat at the feeling of Sora wrapping his arm around my neck to lean on me. What was he...?
"Is that so you can introduce her to your boyfriend?"
I shuddered, feeling his breath against my ear as he murmured, my face flushing bright red.
"B-b-b-b...?!"
Why did he have to say things like that....
He gave a slight chuckle, then parted from me, allowing me to breathe.
"Go ahead and invite her."
I tried to relax.
"...o...okay, I will..."
It was beyond me how he managed to make me this way...
Stinking fox...
I was about to turn to go phone my friend, when I happened to catch something as Sora turned away from me.
I was grabbing his sleeve to stop him before it even registered in my mind.
"Sora.....?"
He tensed and refused to look back at me and I knew that he knew what I saw.
"... Where... Where did you... Where did you get that cut on your neck...?"
I was automatically gripped with fear as he didn't answer.
"... Sora."
My tone was sharper than I'd intended.
This was another fight because of me, wasn't it...?
Still, he didn't answer. But I felt positive that he could at least hear what I was thinking. I didn't know what to do or say...
I was so afraid, so worried, so upset that he was hiding it from me. The last time I'd shown how worried I was he got angry at me...
I tried to keep my voice as calm and steady as possible. "... When did this happen.."

"I'm fine."

My fist tightened around the cloth of his sleeve. "Sora."
He didn't say anything else. I tried to keep myself from shaking. How could we go on like this? I couldn't take much more of him keeping things from me...
Trying to hide the face that looked like I was about to tear up, I leaned toward him and pressed my head against the arm I was shakily clutching. It wasn't fair...
I felt like Sora was never safe as long as I was with him... How was I supposed to take that...?
I was trying so hard not to cry, but it was so frustrating...
I knew he could feel me trembling...
I heard him let out a soft breath, and his body turned, enveloping me gently in his embrace. Sniffling, I buried my face in his chest as he gingerly rubbed the small of my back.
"....I'm just worried about you...."

"... I know. I'm sorry."