Chapter forty

Yuto, Sora and I all had a quiet lunch, and not long after, a quiet dinner. Things had seemed to have calmed down, and my load felt lighter. I was completely comfortable around Yuto and Sora.
Maybe I would have to stay here forever... But thinking about it... Would that be so bad? I loved them both... And even though my life was so much shorter, I wanted to spend what time I could with them. I was happy here... And that was all that mattered.
Finally, night fell, and I curled up on my side of the bed, snuggling in the covers. I was exhausted... So much had been going on lately. A good night's sleep was just what the doctor ordered...
I stirred a bit from my coiled position when the bed moved as Sora climbed into it, letting out a soft grunt as he got himself comfortable. It was strange... I didn't feel uncomfortable being in the same bed as him at all anymore. Guess we really had grown close...
I smiled a bit as I nestled comfortably, closing my eyes.
The room was silent for a long moment before Sora suddenly spoke. "... Hey. You awake?"

"...am now..."

I rolled to my other side to look at him. "What is it...?"
He eyed me for a moment before continuing. "... I think there's something else we haven't really discussed."
My eyebrows knitted together. Something else? But what could that be? They'd already been over the powers, their past, everything... So what...?
"What do you mean?"
His expression looked completely serious, and quite frankly made me a bit nervous.
"... Sora...?"
Instead of saying anything else, he scooted closer and closer to me, flattening my back against the mattress as his upper half hovered over me, propped on his forearms as he looked at me with unreadable eyes.
"S-s-s...??"

"If I asked to kiss you, would you know why?"

I blinked at the question. Kiss me? Why would he want to do that? In the meantime he was way too close...! I could feel his heartbeat....
A long strand of his hair slid from his shoulder and brushed my cheek.
"... What... Do you mean...?"

"Answer the question."

I paused. "Because... You want...to...?"
I couldn't even begin to understand why he'd do that, or even why he'd ask. What was he getting at...?
He exhaled and I could feel his breath on my face. "I really am going to have to spell it out for you, aren't I..."
My brows drew together.
I couldn't make sense of what he was saying...
My heart rate accelerated tenfold as he drew his face even closer.
"W... S-So...r...!"
What was he...??
I could feel his hot breath on my face as he murmured in a low voice, "... I'm going to try... One more time... Try to focus on the feeling I'm giving you... Understand..?"

"Sora..?"

My face felt like it was on fire as he closed the distance between us. What was he...?!
My eyes instinctively fell closed as he flooded me with his body's warmth. His lips were so soft and gentle... He numbed my senses.
What was this feeling...?
I didn't... I didn't want him to ever stop kissing me...
But of course, after what felt like far too short, he slowly parted, and our eyes opened. I was glad to see I wasn't the only one who was breathless...
My face felt like it would melt. The way he kissed me was so...
He looked at me seriously, and I could hear the breathlessness in his voice when he spoke. "... Do you get it yet?"
I blinked. "What do you..?"

"The reason I kissed you?"

It was starting to dawn on me what he meant in the back of my mind, and yet I still repressed the possibility. Surely not...
That would be...
That would be too good to be true...
"Because... You... Can...?"
Sora sighed, agitated.
"No," he looked me dead in the eyes. "Listen. And... You better listen close, because... I'm only going to say this once..."
Was he... Blushing...?
I found myself unable to look away from his captivating green eyes.
"... Ayano..."
Sora...?
".... I love you."