Chapter fifty

~ Final part 2/2~

I woke, surprised to find that I'd even fallen asleep, and sat up to look around. Last thing I remembered, I was out on the porch with Sora... But now I was inside, curled on the couch.
I must've fallen asleep... How embarrassing..
I started to scan the area, looking for someone familiar, and saw no one in the space.
Shrugging it off, I stood to see if I could find someone, or maybe just to get myself some breakfast. I hadn't gotten far when I heard a familiar voice from down the hall.
"So? What's this other way?"
Haruka?
What was she talking about? Was she talking to Sora?
Curious now, I edged closer towards the sound, creeping cautiously down the hall.
"It's kind of difficult to explain...."
That was Sora's voice... What were they talking about? And so suspiciously, too...
I had a gut feeling this couldn't be good...
Worried, I edged closer until I reached the closed door, and pressed my ear closely against it, hardly even breathing as I tried to pick up the conversation.
"Why so difficult?" I heard Haruka inquire.

"Well...." Sora responded hesitantly. "Did Ayano tell you anything about the energy residing in her?"

My power...?
Haruka seemed to pause for a moment before finding an answer. "... A little."

"Well... I didn't tell her everything."

My heart felt like it had stopped beating. He didn't... Tell me everything?
Trying to keep it together long enough to hear more, I pressed closer to the door, biting down on my lip.

"What are you saying...?"

"It's true that she has a hidden force of energy built up within her, but what I didn't tell her is that there's a way to contain that energy and make it nearly impossible for anyone to trace."

There was a way to do that...? But why would he have kept such vital information from me? It didn't add up...
"Why didn't you tell her...?" Haruka's voice interrupted my whirling thoughts. "If there was a way to protect her like that, why would you keep it a secret? Unless you're just trying to keep her here forever!"
My heart rate sped up. Was that what he was doing...? Was he trying to force me to stay under his protection forever?? No... He wouldn't...
I heard Sora heave a sigh. "No. That's not it."

"Then what is it?"

The vulnerability in Sora's tone made my chest ache. "... She's just still so young..."
Sora...?
Haruka's own tone softened. "... What kind of other way is it...? Is it that bad...? Will it hurt her...?"
Haruka was asking all the questions that were whipping through my own mind. What was the other way??
Sora paused for a painfully long time. "... Ayano would have to be married."

My heart dropped into my stomach and my knees felt weak. M... married...?
I had to get married??
Why? How? What...?!
Haruka seemed just as shocked as I was at this unexpected news.

"MY LITTLE GIRL HAS TO GET MARRIED??"

I imagined Sora was nodding slowly. "To be more specific, she would have to marry a youkai, or another being with significant power."

A youkai??

"What?? Why??"

"In a youkai wedding ceremony, the couples' souls are bound together as one. Ayano's energy is residing within her soul, so when her soul is bound to another beings, the power in her will settle, and the balance will keep her stable."

My body was frozen still. I had to marry a youkai to protect everyone...?
If that's what it took...
Before I'd even finished my thought, I was through the door, standing in front of a surprised Sora and Haruka.
"I'll do it."

To be continued...

//AN: IT IS DONE.
Thank you all for your support, I never expected to make it this far! I hope you'll stay tuned for book two ^.^
Thank you!! 💞