Chapter forty nine

~Final part 1/2~

Haruka woke up to find no one beside her. The sun was bright and high in the sky, so she suspected that it was around noon by now. When she sat up to stretch, she leaned to look outside and spotted a couple of ears in her line of sight.
That looked like Sora....
Rolling out of the bed, Haruka climbed to her feet and crept out onto the porch. When she looked over, she saw that Ayano was with him, but it looked like she'd fallen asleep, her head rested in Sora's lap as he gently ran his fingers through her hair.
Haruka eyed them without saying anything for a long moment. Without looking at her, Sora spoke up.
"... You want to talk?"
Haruka was a bit surprised by the sudden question, but as a matter of fact, she did.
Of course, Sora already knew that. After the night of story tellin between her and Ayano, who slept blissfully unaware, Sora knew that Haruka had started to think a little differently about her friend being here.
She sat a ways away from him, legs crossed, on the porch. She didn't look at him as she spoke quietly.
"I get the feeling you know what I think?"
He paused.
"... Yeah. I know."

"... Great. So maybe I don't have to do much explaining."

She turned her head to look him straight on, her face dead serious.
"I don't want Ayano to stay here anymore."
Sora didn't answer.
Facing forwards again, she looked out at the sky, staying completely serious as she elaborated. "In a place like this, I know she'd never be safe. And it doesn't sound like you are, either."  She peered over at him from the corner of her eye. "If Ayano needs somewhere to go, she can stay with me. My dad's a cop. And she's my best friend. The only person I trust her with is me."
Sora stayed silent, taking in what she was saying. One half of him hated it. He hated what she was saying. Hated that someone had dared to tell him he couldn't protect the girl he loved more than anything.
But the other half knew that in a way, she was right. He'd already let her get hurt. Let her see him hurt.
But what was he to do...? He wanted her to be safe more than anything, regardless of what happened to himself...
He didn't know anywhere else she could go. He didn't believe for a second that she'd be safe under Haruka's protection.
However... Being at her house would keep Ayano off the radar. No one would know they could find her there...
But should something happen...
Sora looked at her seriously.
".... There's no safer place for her than with me." He inadvertently tightened his hold on Ayano's sleeping figure protectively.
Haruka narrowed her eyes, not looking convinced.
"Can you really promise that?"
Sora was silent.
Haruka shook her head. "You have to understand what's best for her.... You can't save the both of you."
Sora was quiet for a long moment before he spoke up.
".... There is another way...."
He seemed reluctant to elaborate, causing Haruka's face to contort worriedly.
"... What 'other way'....?"

//AN: That's right, ladies and gentlemen! Suddenly On a Leash is almost over! Which is kind of amazing, because I haven't finished a book in a looooooooong time. And back then, my stories were only 20 pages. Soooo. Yeah. Mini applause. Anyways, yayyyyy! YOU EXCITED? IM EXCITED.