Chapter thirty two

My hands were shaking as I prepared the tea in the kettle. Geez, what was wrong with me... I drew attention to myself...
God, they must think I'm an idiot...
But...
My heart really twisted seeing her touching him like that... I was in deeper than I thought...
What happened to loving in silence...?
Could I really stay quiet with her clinging to him like that? Just thinking about it made my chest tighten...
But what could I do? She was a gorgeous girl, I couldn't possibly compete... And besides that, they were going to get married! I couldn't intervene... I had to keep quiet...
My heart leapt into my throat at the sound of footsteps descending from behind me. Do I even dare turn around...?
Thankfully, I didn't have to as a recognizable voice broke through. "Upset?"
I turned to glare at Sora, who was leaned against the doorway, smirking at me as his tail flicked behind him. He was amused?
After glaring him down, I turned back around to continue with the teaー but mostly to avoid looking at him directly.
"No," I grumbled, dipping the teabags in the water.
I heard a light scoff as he pushed off the wall and came towards me. I tensed, ready to avoid eye contact at all costs. My body jolted as he came close enough that his mouth was at my ear as he spoke, leaning against me by wrapping his arms around my neck.
"You can't lie to me, you know."
An involuntary shudder rolled through me. What was he...??
"What're you doing...? You're too close..."

"Listen... We're not really getting married."

My heart fluttered involuntarily. They... Weren't...?
I was so freaking relieved to hear that...
But why would she say that, then?
"...who exactly is she...?" My voice was quiet and wavering.
I could hear a slight smile in his voice as he responded. "She's a girl I grew up with. Our parents were friends and  they'd always joke about us getting married someday. Kyoko liked to take that as a promise."
Well that made sense... And it made me feel a little bit better. Besides that... Now I was thinking of Sora as a little kid. How cute would that be...
"I was adorable."

"Shut it."

Sora gave a light laugh before turning me loose. I was about to open my mouth to say something, when a shrill call cut me off.
"Soryyyyyy! Come over here!"
I tried not to roll my eyes, but Sora must've noticed. He raised a hand to ruffle my hair. "Don't let what she says bother you. Okay?"

"....okay...."