Chapter twelve

The trip back was quiet. I felt so terribly embarrassed. Sora.. He'd seen me cry... How foolish he must think I am...
My heart ached...
Upon returning, Yuto was happy to see us, bearing his usual grin.
"Welcome home!" He greeted cheerfully with a wag of his tail. I couldn't help but feel a bit better after seeing him. "Hey, Yuto," I responded, slipping out of my shoes with Sora as we walked in with my luggage. I stopped walking when Sora turned to me. "Come on. We'll put these in your room."
My room, huh...
Though half heartedly, I followed behind Sora down the hall to a room at the end. We set my things by the door against the wall and I looked around for a minute.
"... Isn't... Isn't this your room...?"
I was pretty sure this was where he slept... I'd been sleeping on the couch all this time, so I wasn't positive, but...
Sora replied nonchalantly, "Yes."
I stiffened. "Wh-Why are you putting my things here??"

"Well, if you're going to stay here permanently now, wouldn't it be nice to sleep somewhere other than the couch?"

True, the couch was highly uncomfortable and small... But still...!

"But where are you sleeping...?"

"Here. This is my room."

My face burned. "We have to share it??"
Unbelievable...!
He raised a brow. "You sure are a selfish one, aren't you.."
I growled, scowling at him. "No way, I don't want to sleep bes..."

"We have no extra rooms. It's either with me or with Yuto."

With Yuto, huh... I wouldn't mind that... He wasn't as scary as Sora...
"Well... I wouldn't mind if it was Yuto..." I murmured.
Sora paused and scowled a little at me. "He sleeps in a dog house outside..."
Oh come on...!!
The burning in my face had reached my ears, completely unrelenting. "Good grief..." I grumbled. "Fine then..."
I was going to end up on the couch for sure...
Sora eyed me silently for a moment.
"... Am I that scary...?"
I stopped at this and looked at him. Was he...
"What do you mean...?"
Sora..?
"You keep your distance," he observed. "You know I wouldn't hurt you, right?"
My chest tightened.
Sora...
His eyes...
His face was as stony as ever, but his eyes... They looked hurt...
Had I hurt his feelings...?
I didn't know how to respond...
What could I say to him...?
".... I'm..." I started weakly. "... I'm not afraid of you..."
I didn't mean it like that...
"I'm not afraid of you, Sora..."
I wanted to let him know that... He didn't have to worry.. After all, I owed him...
To my surprise, Sora chuckled a little, but it was so soft and so quick that a smile barely had time to reach his lips.
"I see.."
In moments, his expression had gone blank again. Sora... Where is your smile...?