Chapter thirty

All of this was so overwhelming....
After a bit, Sora had gone back to the kitchen to tell Yuto, who was preparing a meal and medicine for me, that I had woken up and was feeling fine. Being alone in the room behind, I could let out the breath I was holding, placing a hand over my heart. It was still beating so fast... What had gotten into me? "Kiss me again"? What was I thinking...?
My fingers found their way up to trace along the line of my lips. I could still feel it... I could still feel Sora's kiss. The warmth still lingered...
It wasn't too surprising that I craved it. The feeling he gave me... It was wonderful...
When had I started to feel like this...?
My face felt warm. It was painfully obvious what this meant for me...
But how would I tell him...?
What if he didn't feel the same...?
I held myself. I was suddenly afraid...
He didn't have to know. I'd love from a distance just like I always have. It would be okay that way. That's how I'd always been... So it wouldn't hurt me.
I was jolted from my thoughts as I was surprised with an abrupt embrace.
"AyanooOoOooOoooOOooO!!!"
I relaxed when I realized it was Yuto, and gave him a squeeze back. "Hey," I murmured. "Miss me?"

"We were so worried about you...!!"

We...
I smiled at him, raising a hand to pet his head. "I'm fine. Promise. Thank you."
He kept squeezing me and weeping in relief, and I held him close to comfort him, still lightly petting him and assuring that everything was fine. As I did, I noticed Sora in my peripheral vision. More than anything, though, I could feel his intense gaze. Was he glaring at us?

*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*

After a day or two, everything was going smoothly, calming back down to the way that it was before. I, healing from the attack still, wasn't asked to do many chores. Not that I really minded them now anyway.
I was doing just like I said I wouldー I loved Sora from a distance.
It was a strange experience... Quiet. I felt like my love grew everyday; every hour. Anytime I looked at him, I saw something new that I didn't realize before how beautiful it was. His eyes were so gentle when he was caring for the garden outside. When he was doing the yard work, he wore his hair back, and he looked so handsome as he worked... I hadn't noticed it before, but I loved the curve of his cheeks, the very sculpt of his face. He looked so hand-carved, like a work of art... I hadn't realized how beautiful he was...
And then there was I. I only watched from the window. And I loved in silence.
I didn't think very much would change... Until there was a knock at the door.