♧Chapter 3: The Job is Taken♧

Chapter 3: The Job is Taken

"You'll never know if it's right until you try it."

Hannah Charles

A week later, I was strolling in Fairway Market. I was taking three boxes of frozen pizza and placing them in my trolley when my phone vibrated. I fished for my phone in my bag and answered the call.

Before I had the pleasure to say anything, the person on the other line said, "Hello, is this Miss Charles?"

"Yeah, that's me."

"Gary James here."

"Oh hi Mr. James, I've been waiting for your call. So what's the status of the job?"

"Miss Charles, the job is yours."

"Wait, what? The job is mine?"

"Yes, the bodyguard job is yours. We need you to come down here later this afternoon for more details about the job. Can you be here around 3?"

"Yes sir, I'll be there. Have a nice day."

Once I hung up, I was jumping with joy. It was worth waiting for a week.

My nervousness built again as I sat in Mr. James office. "Sorry to keep you waiting, Miss Charles." Mr. James said as he ambled into his office.

I stared at the bald man for a second. He had a smile pasted on his face, unlike the previous time I was here. "No problem, sir."

He took a seat and officially said, "Congratulations Miss Charles, you're officially a celebrity bodyguard."

"Thank you so much for considering me for this job."

"Your record was clean compared to the other applicants."

"Oh, lucky me."

"Yes, indeed. You're lucky. You're young and you'll make a perfect fit for this job. Robert Hugh Patrick is a nice person but he's adamant. He's been getting threatening calls from discontented girlfriends and fangirls. So, I think you're the most proper candidate to handle them."

"Ok," I murmured almost to myself, thinking what type of threatening calls he was getting.

"Besides, you can keep an eye on him and his whereabouts," he raised an eyebrow while pointing his index finger at me. "You said you're an observer. I'm holding you to that, Ms. Charles."

"Yes sir, that's right. I'm an observer, a great one."

"Miss Payne will give you further information about the task. You'll be starting tomorrow as a trainee bodyguard and we'll see if he approves of you then." He explained as he opened the door for me and called out for Miss Payne. "You'll be on trial for a week. If Robert selects you, you'll be then trained to become a professional celebrity bodyguard."

Freaking tarts! I'm in this for real. There's no going back now.

"Thanks, sir. I'll do my best. I won't let you down." I was assuring him that he made a good choice by choosing me for this job, but I was more likely reassuring myself that being a bodyguard wasn't that hard.

I sauntered out of the room and followed Miss Payne to her office. She didn't say much as she handed me a few papers to fill in. Then she began explaining more deeply about the job.

"Alright then, we'll see you tomorrow at eight. Meet us up at the Whales Studio, here's your pass to get through." She handed me a white pass with the Staff of the Whales Company together with a whale logo on it.