Chapter 73: The GRAND BALL (Part 2)

Chapter 73: The Grand Ball Part 2

"You mean everything to me and yet, someone else is more meaningful. You're my life and yet, someone else has my soul. You complete me and yet, I feel something is missing. You're here with me and yet, I'm missing you."

Hannah Charles

An uncomfortable sensation dashed through my neurons, I removed his arms from my waist and asked, "Where are your parents?"

Just then, Alex's stepmother descended the stairs in a lengthy black lace gown. One hand adjusted her auburn loose bun and the other one gripped Alex's dad hand. "Hannah darling, how have you been?" She let go of Mr Peter's palm to peck my cheeks.

"I'm fine, thanks." I pursed my lips into a thin line as I spotted Nicole strolling to her side. What was she doing here? I bet Alex's step-mom was petting her to be the next Mrs. Peter. She sported the same laced gown and red bun. They both looked like two peas in a pod, trying to win the hearts of the Peters.

"Hannah, this is Nicole, my lovely niece and also Alex's secretary and soon to be Chief Operating Officer." Nicole followed Mrs. Peter's action and kissed both side of my cheeks. "She's lent a big hand in planning tonight's event. Alex wouldn't have been able to manage without her." Mrs. Peter clasped her hands together whilst staring dreamily at Nicole and Alex. Nicole fluttered her extended eyelashes at him. Alex grimaced at the sight of them. It was evident he didn't approve of whatever scandal his stepmother was trying to cook.

Despite feeling animus toward her, I parted my jaws and muttered, "Congratulations, Nicole."

"Thanks," replied Nicole with lack of interest.

"Come on, hurry up. I don't want to be late at my own event," voiced Mr. Peter.

Everyone trotted to the limo. The chauffeur held the door for us. Mr. and Mrs. Peter entered in first. Then, Alex guided me. I sat opposite of Alex's parents, at the far end corner, facing the window. Just as Alex put a leg in, his step-mom hissed in a low tone, "Be a gentleman and lead Nicole in first." Alex puffed and made way for Nicole. Mister Kennett closed the door of the limo after Alex took his seat and drove us to our mysterious location.

Half an hour later, the driver delivered us at our destination. Everyone stepped out of the vehicle and trooped toward the venue. As for me, my eyes glued to the mesmerizing view ahead. "Welcome to CHÂTEAUX ADÉLAÏDE," whispered Alex from behind, startling me as I thought he had left with his parents. "It's beautiful, isn't it?"

"It's more beautiful than I'd imagined. The view is hypnotic. I could never get tired staring at this the whole day." I spun around and hit him on the shoulder. "Is that why you kept the venue a secret?"

His boyish grin formed. "Absolutely. I wanted to surprise you."

"Congratulation! You successfully surprised me, Mr. Peter Junior, but how on earth did you manage to get this exotic palace for the event? It was closed to the public for decades."

"I worked my magic to impress someone who kept dreaming about this place since she first came here."

"I'm definitely impressed."

Alex showed me his cheek. "I deserve my reward too for working on my magic."

I snickered and pinched his cheek.

"That's not what I want." He protested, drawing nearer to me.

Nicole came in between us again. "Come on, your parents are waiting for us to make an appearance on the red carpet." She grabbed Alex wrist without waiting for his approval and dragged him to join his parents who headed toward the red carpet.