Chapter 27

The silence made Kiedi want to cry. Minutes had passed and Luke still said nothing. She was scared to turn and look at him; scared that if she did she would see rejection or disgust on his face and Kiedi didn't know if her heart could handle that.  

She just knew that she couldn't keep something like that from him. Sure she hadn't initiated it but she felt responsible for probably sending messages to Daniel and then she had stood there for a few seconds before she pushed him away... 

She heard him shift behind her and after how quiet he had been before she half expected the door to open then close, closing her out of his life forever.

She hadn't realized she was holding her breath until she let out an audible sigh when she felt his hand on her shoulder and his deep voice at her ear.

"Did you enjoy it?" he asked so softly that she wouldn't have heard him if he hadn't been right at her ear.

"No," she didn't even have to blink before responding. It was quick and it was the truth because she hadn't.

"Okay," he said and brushed away her hair to kiss the back of her neck.

"That's it?" Kiedi almost gave herself whiplash turning to look at him. Not that she was complaining or anything because it was fine with her if Luke didn't get mad at her over this.

"Yes," he smiled at her.

"How do you know I wasn't lying?" she asked because she just couldn't help herself.

"I listened to your heart beat," he said softly and cupped her cheek.

Without her permission her vision started getting blurry with tears of relief. Luke looked at her in confusion as a stray tear ran down her cheek.

"I thought you'd be so angry that you'd leave me," she sniffled.

"I could never leave you Kie, not that I'll ever want to, my wolf would never let me. Your my mate," He smiled at her.

"So would you leave if I wasn't your mate?"

"No," Luke chuckled, "but from now on your never leaving my side again; I can't have you going around kissing anymore guys in New Orleans."

"That's not funny! He kissed me," Kiedi pouted as she pushed at his chest.

"Come here," Luke laughed as he pulled her onto his chest.

"No," Luke said with finality in his tone but that didn't stop Kie. They were in his van in front of his house the next afternoon after spending last night and that morning together.

"Why are you being so difficult?" Kiedi asked throwing her hands in the air in frustration. they had been having this conversation from they got in the car half an hour ago.

"I'm not being difficult I'm just NOT  putting you in that kind of danger and that's that," He got out of the van and slammed the door.

Kie rushed out after him, "Luke!"

He ignored her and kept walking towards the house.

"Lukas Gold I'm talking to you!" she yelled at him. He stopped and turned to look at her and his eyes had changed to black and she could see his canines trying to come out.

"Do you have any idea the type of shit I do for work?" he asked and Kiedi could hear the growl in his voice.

"You hunt demons," Kiedi answered.

"Do think that's easy! Its fucking dangerous so why the hell do you think I would let you join my team?"

"I can take care of myself," Kie grumbled to herself but of course he heard her.