Chapter 30

So up above is who I picture as Carl. A few of my readers have said they don't understand Carl as a character but he is actually really deep and I hope this chapter will explain why he is so closed off. 

Hope you enjoy!

"Can I go in town with your mom?" Kiedi asked Luke who was busy 'fixing' the Kitchen sink.

"I'm busy now but if you still want to go in town later I can carry you or just pick up whatever you want and carry it back here," Luke replied while still under the sink.

When Kiedi didn't immediately answer yet he could hear her foot tapping impatiently he climbed out and looked up at her.

"What?" he asked oblivious to her annoyance.

"I'm trying here Luke but you have to at least make a reciprocating effort here," she sighed.

"Fine, I'll ask Carl to come with you, is that better?"

"Why does anyone have to come with me?" she muttered but before Luke changed his mind she quickly agreed and stooped to kiss his nose.

"Could you pass me the wrench before you leave please?" Luke asked as he started to climb back under the sink.

"Okay since you two are here, I'll head over to meats and you can get the rest of the groceries," Esther suggested as she handed Kiedi half of the shopping list.

Kiedi grabbed a trolley and she and the always brooding Carl set out to gather the items on their list. He was quiet as was normal for him and had his usual scent of smoke; this was because he had burnt through a cigarette on the short walk from the car to the store.

"So what's your story?" Kiedi asked out of curiosity of the type of person Carl really was behind shield of brood.

"What do you mean?"

"You're always so brooding and quiet. Even though there's always the guys you just seem forever alone. And I know besides that one party I've never seen you with any girls and I know you're not a whore like Kyle."

"Maybe I am but you just haven't seen it yet," Carl said. Kiedi just stared at him and wondered how he could say it so playfully yet still remain so grim.

When Kiedi just kept staring at him incredulously he gave a better answer: "I'm just not ready to be in a relationship yet or if I'll ever be again."

"What? some girl broke your heart?" Kie asked with a playful brush against his shoulder. She was teasing him but stopped short when she saw him clench his jaw, "Oh"

"Yeah," he mumbled.

"What happened?" she asked softly.

"I was engaged to my mate and a few weeks before the wedding we were attacked by rogue demons and... she died." His voice had gotten husky with all the pain he was feeling.

"I'm so sorry," she whispered laying a tentative hand on his shoulder.

"I couldn't protect her," he said, his voice was barely above a whisper.

"Whatever happened Carl I'm sure you couldn't have done more than you did," she said trying to make him feel better. She assumed she failed when he turned to look at her with anger in his eyes.

"Ha!" he said bitterly, "you mean I couldn't have done enough. The time when she needed me most I was able to help her." He ran his hands irritably over his pants pockets most likely looking for his pack of cigarettes. "I'll be outside," He said as he walked away pulling out his lighter along the way.