Birthday

It's been more than two week since we had that picnic by the lake. I've only been able to kiss Merlin two times since then. Well, more like pecks. Our lips barely even touched, not like they had done like that night by the lake. We're never alone anymore. But hopefully that will change very soon.

Tomorrow's my birthday. There's going to be a bal which means there's going to be princesses. My father wants me to find an appropriate wife. I tell Merlin about it and get even more nervous about it when he doesn't react the same way as I do. 

While I am pacing around Merlin hugs me until I stop and whispers encouraging nonsense into my ear. He holds me close for hours, never leaving my side as he understands how concerned I am.

"You're all set for the night." Merlin says and we pull apart. 

"Will you stay?" I've found it hard to sleep when Merlin's not there.

"You know I can't, people are getting suspicious." He says and sigh heavily. He's right, I've noticed people looking at me differently. Or maybe I'm just paranoid.

"You're right. Good night then." I wrap one arm around his thin waist and lay the other on his cheek. Slowly I bring my lips to his, kissing him sweetly.

"Good night Arthur." He says and smiles sadly before walking out of the room. I go to bed, smiling while hugging a huge pillow pretending it's Merlin.

"Happy birthday Arthur!" Merlin yells and jump up in my bed. I groan but can't keep the smile away.

"Merlin I swear to God, if you do not stop jumping I will kick you out." I say calmly but serious. He stops jumping and hand me a box.

"Open it." He says and grin broadly. "Oh, Merlin you really didn't have to." I say but still opens it. It's a ring and when I look up to smile at Merlin he's on his knee. I gasp and stare at him with wide eyes.

"It's not a proposal if that's what you think, it's more like a promise. I promise to always be there when you need me, even if you choose to end this. To end us. I promise that I'll love you forever. I love you Arthur." He says and I feel a tear slip down my cheek. I never cry, but Merlin makes me feel feelings I've never felt before and I have a hard time controlling them.

"I love you too." I say weakly and kiss him passionately. He put the ring on my finger and smile. I feel like a little girl, but that's okay. I don't care what other people may think of me, as long as Merlin accept me, I accept myself.

"Now you're mine." I smirk and kiss him again. What will happen when I'm forced to marry another? What will my kingdom think if they ever found out? Right now I don't care, as long as I have Merlin by my side I know it'll be okay.

At dinner they all say their congratulations to me. My father, Morgana and some council members hold speeches. I thank them for all the gifts and then we all toast.

I look around to see Merlin serving people mead. As soon as our eyes connect I smile and blush bright pink, looking at the ring he gave me. Even though I got sacks of coins, nice swords and gold, Merlin's gift is the best. It might not have cost him an fortune but his words meant more than a thousand gold coins ever would.

After dinner we head to the bal where people are already dancing and the sound of music fills my ears. I would love to dance with Merlin. Just him and me on the dance floor, holding each other like our life depended on it. But I know I can't.

There's a line of girls dying to try and get my attention. They're all very attractive but no one could ever compare to my Merlin. I smile at the princesses, mumble an awkward 'hello', and look down, taking a deep breath. When I look up again I see Merlin, as soon as I see him my face breaks into a big grin. That's when I realize, Merlin's the one. The one and only that I want to spend the rest of my life with.

Finally the bal is over and I'm allowed to go back to my chamber. Merlin follows and starts preparing for the night. I sit down on the chair waiting for him to finish, looking at his ass every time he passes.

"All done." He says and smiles.

I walk up to him and trap him in my arms. As I stare into his eyes I can tell it's something he's worried about.

"What is it? Is something wrong? Did I do something wrong?"I ramble on, trying to remember if I told him anything offensive. Merlin smiles weakly and pecks my lips.

"It's nothing." He says and tries to look convincing but I can see through the lie.

"I love you. Never doubt that." I mumble and he chuckles slightly. "I love you too Arthur."

Merlins POV

Standing here in Arthur arms really makes me want to tell him about my magic. The ring I gave him wasn't just a promise ring, It's so that I can track him at anytime. Not because I want to know where he is at all times but so that I'll know if anything ever happens.

Before we got this close I was scared of losing him, now I'm terrified. I can't imagine a life without him, without his touch or without him telling me that he loves me.

I hug him close, smelling his hair, never wanting to let go. It's in these moments when both Arthur and I can forget our responsibilities.

"You're so thin, don't Gaius feed you." He says and poke my rib.

"We can't all be as fat as you." I say and his his arm playfully. He grins at the comment and kiss me gently.

"Stay?" Arthur asks with pleading eyes. I nod and we crawl into the bed, embracing each other, falling fast asleep.