Betrothed

Arthurs POV

It's been two months and five days since I last saw Merlin. Nothing have been the same. That weird guy George took Merlin's place here in the castle. He does the cleaning and he doesn't complain, he's the perfect manservant. 

But I want Merlin back, I want my Merlin back. I miss his jokes, his smile, his touch. I miss everything about him. 

The world doesn't look the same without him. I haven't laughed once since he left, all I've done is going out in the forest at night, looking for him.

I shouldn't have let him leave. I should have convinced him to stay. I should have done more. Every day, every minute I regret not doing any of those things.

I know he's out there, watching over me. I wonder what he's doing, if he's thinking about me too.

"Sire, your father wishes to speak to you." George says as he enters my chamber. "Tell him I have some other things to do." I say and continue laying in my bed, daydreaming about Merlin.

"Sir, he said it was important." 

"He says that about everything." I groan and bury my head in my pillow. "He told me to tell you the name 'Merlin' and-" I cut him off by quickly standing up and practically throwing myself at him.

"What about him? What about Merlin? Have they found him? Tell me he's alive." The words came out faster then I thought and George doesn't seem to find the right thing to say as he stutters a couple of random words.

Instead of standing there waiting I run out of my room and sprint to the throne room. Breathlessly I open the door.

"I'm glad you could come." My father says with a fake smile on his face. "Where is he? Where's Merlin?"

"Oh, he's not here."

"Then why did you-" I start off but Uther stops me. "I needed your full attention. Princess Elena is coming here. The two of you are now betrothed. You will get married and you will become the next king of Camelot." He says in a harsh tone and glares at me.

"I won't do it. I'll become the king of Camelot,but I will not marry another. " I say and hold my position. My mind is clear. I'll never marry another who's not Merlin, for he is the one and only.

"You will! And you'll do it with a smile!" Uther stands up and walks to me. "You'll be happy. Even happier than you thought you could be with that servant." 

"His name's Merlin, and he wasn't just a servant." Both of our faces are red and anger. "No? Then what was he?" Uther looks at me daringly and raises an eyebrow.

"He was my best friend, he was more loyal and braver than you'll ever be." I want to tell him about Merlin's magic but I know I can't. That's a secret I'll take with me to my grave. But if I could only make my father realize how many times Merlin has saved me. And Camelot. 

"What do you know about loyalty and braveness?" He hisses and moves closer.

"Merlin would do more than die for me and Camelot. And he'd never turn on those people who need him. Not like you did with those who has magic." I shout back at him. 

"Those people are evil. Everything they do is for their own good. Everything comes with a prize. And I wasn't willing to pay for them!" He turns around, ignoring my shouts and death glances.

"You will marry princess Elena. That is final! Now leave!" I slam the doors behind me as I walk out of the room. Without a second thought I walk to the horse stables, jumping up on my horse and riding out of Camelot.

Merlins POV

"Merlin, where are you? I don't have anyone else to speak to. I..I miss you." I can hear Arthur thoughts as he sits down at the lake where we shared our first kiss. I smile at myself. He was thinking of he too.

He still wears the ring I gave him. I know he's been looking for me, I know exactly where he's been these two months. It's been hard, knowing the thoughts he's been having.

How he wishes to either be with me or in the ground. How he thinks life is meaningless without me. Everyday I've cried myself to sleep, knowing how Arthur felt.

I can't go back to him. My destiny is to make sure Camelot will have Arthur as their king. And he can't if he's with me.

I've reached out for Gwaine a couple of times, he's still one of my closest friends. I've been asking him how Arthur's been holding on, in front of them. He told me that they've hardly even seen him. Gwaine told me he knew about us, that he's known for a while. I couldn't help but to blush when he told me that we looked cute together.

My heart tells me to go to Arthur. Telling him everything's going to be fine. That he's not alone and that I still love him more than anything. But my brain's telling me to not. Seeing me will make things even worse. I won't be able to walk away if I saw his face. I won't be strong enough to leave him again.

"Darling, you need to eat." Mother says, "you and I both knows that it wouldn't have worked out for you. It's better this way. Now you can find a pretty girl and start a family." She smiles warmly and kisses me on my cheek.

"I don't want a pretty girl. I want Arthur." My mother sighs and leaves me alone.

I just want my Arthur. 

-------

Hello again. So I have no idea to end this. I've been thinking about it a lot but haven't decided yet...

Anyway, thoughts? 

Btw the song on the side is 'skinny love' by Birdy. 

See you later!