Chapter 11 - Oops!

Nathan's POV:-

The next day I woke up totally shocked. The clock read 7:30 am. Shit! Why didn't my alarm ring? Oh yeah right. I had switched off my phone. And hell I have no time to turn it on right now. I half run to my bathroom.

After completing my chores and getting dressed, I rushed downstairs. I grabbed my wrist watch which now showed the time was 7:50, oh shit 10 minutes to go, my car keys, the house keys, my bag and run outside. I was hurriedly locking the door when Elisa, my neighbour, saw me.

"Late again?" She asked me. Are you blind? Why would I rush like a mad man?

"Catch ya later." I waved at her and got in my car. It was an old red Chevy. My dad's first car. Mom bought herself a new one and so this was all to myself. I put my foot on the pedal and the engine roared to life. The sound was embarrassing. I reversed and off I go to another - screwed - up -  morning - which - was - going - to - ruin - up - my - entire - day  practice.

I parked the car and sprinted to my class. The hallway was silent which was not a good sign. The classes had started. Which class do I have now? English? No Clac. Shit I can't remember. So I turn into the first class to the left on the first floor. Let's try out my luck this time. I saw Miss Adams in the class. No no this wasn't my hour but it was too late to turn back.

"Yes Mr. Hale?" Umm yeah right. Now what? I scanned the class to see if I could catch anyone, Pete, Mike, Greg anyone. But there were lots and lots of girls in here. I continued to look and then my eyes rested on her. Only for a fraction on second, she looked my way but in that moment I realised that I am -

"Excuse me?" Miss Adams brought me out of my train of thoughts. Oh correct. I was still in the doorway.

"Oh I'm sorry. I just-" I started stuttering and the girls started giggling. What was so funny?

"Yeah so leave." She ordered. Crap. I've made such a scene of myself. I turned to leave looking one last time at her and she looked back. Gosh I am-

"Hey man! Where were you? Coach is going crazy" I recognized Greg's voice from behind me.

I turn around quickly. Why has the coach been looking for me? Oh Jesus! The practice starts from today?

"Shit! I forgot about it! Come on let's go." I walk with him, putting my arm around his shoulder.

"How bad is it?" I ask him

"That's the worst I've seen" he replied with sympathy in his eyes. Great! I'm dead.

---------

"How many times have I mentioned that every player needs to be here on time. Unless you bring punctuality in your lives, you will never win the game. Punctuality is the basic foundation of a true sportsman spirit." The coach kept blabbering on about stuff like that whilst Pete was trying to say something through actions and silent lip movements. I was so goddamn awful at reading lip movements.

'What?' I mouth to him.

'Ball' he replies. Or so I think.

'Ball?' What is he talking about?

He moves his head in a 'yes'. His eyes flicker to coach's and he nods as if to show he is listening. I do the same. While thinking what ball?

'The ball is with me' I mouth to Pete.

'What?' He asks with a very confused expression. Well maybe he didn't say ball in the first place. His expression then changes as if it suddenly clicks to him what I'm trying to say. He laughs a little and then starts making hand movements to show....dance?