Moving in with the Devil

At 3.30am, the limo pulls in front of the motel I've been staying at for the last week. I look around the building and see a homeless guy sleeping under the stairs in a box. A group of kids are hiding in the dark alley as packages and money exchange hands.

A black limo pulls over and talks to the kids. A guy points at Landon and I.

Landon wraps his arms around me. "Stop looking. They might do something if you're not careful."

I roll my eyes. "It's not the first time I've seen them."

He whispers in my ear. "It's different now that you're with me. My limo makes everything different."

Landon and I walk into my motel room and pack my clothes. He takes the suitcase to the limo.

I walk to the reception desk and they old guy behind the desk look at me. "Hello, love. What can I do for you today?" He smiles and I can see gaps where teeth used to be.

Why do I have to deal with this creepy guy alone?

I smile. "I would like to return the keys." I pull the key out of my pocket and place it on the table.

He takes the key from me and puts it back on the shelf. "I hope to see you soon, love."

Unlikely.

I hurry out of the office.

Landon is leaning against a wall. He has his arms propped on the wall and he talking to a girl with a short skirt and a tight top. She's wearing heaps of make-up.

The girl looks at me.

She runs her hands all over Landon as she sees me approach them. "When you get sick of that girl. Give me a call and I'll show you a good time, sugar." She kisses him and he returns it.

I cough. "Sorry to disturb the make-out session." I poke him with my index finger. "If that happens again I'll show you wear you can shove everything. Do you understand me?"

His mouth hangs open. "Do you know who you're talking to?"

I nod. "Yeah, the arse that broke my heart at the beginning of the year and the one that needs my help this year." I elbow him on the way to the limo.

Before I climb into the limo I see him slip her a couple of bills. I slide in and sit next to the window. I look outside as Landon climbs in.

He closes the door and puts his seatbelt on.

The limo pulls away from the motel and drives towards the Hollywood Hills.

I put earphones in my ears and continue to look out the window as the car takes us to his place up in The Hills.

Before I know it the limo stops in front of an iron gate with security.

When did he get them? They weren't here when he kicked me out in January.

The security opens the gate after they speak with Landon. The limo drives up the path and stops in front of a beautiful brick three story mansion. The garden I put in last year is still going strong.

At least someone takes care of those.

I pull the earphones out of my ear. "I'm glad someone has taken care of the garden."

Landon shrugs. "I paid the gardener to rip them out. But, he liked the garden and decided to take care of it for you. He thought you would come back one day."

I won't be staying long.

I step out of the car and look at the gold plated statue of a naked woman. She has water pouring out of her mouth and nipples.