The Funeral

Landon and I have been sleeping in the same bed since the fire. He won't let me out of his sight. He told me was afraid when I was pulled away from him when we were crawling through the thick smoke at Harrison Lawyers.

When he drove me home we waited for the doctor to arrive and he checked me over. He told us I had a concussion. If I started to vomit or feel dizzy that I had to go straight to the hospital.

I didn't want to go to the hospital.

Landon spent the night awake with me. He kept poking me each time I closed my eyes. "Stay awake for me, Kayla. I don't want to lose you."

I touch his arm. "You're not going to lose me, Landon. I just need some sleep."

He rises. "I'm going to get us some coffee to help us stay away."

I shake my head. "It's going to make me sleepy. Can you get me some coke? That stuff can keep me up for hours." I laugh lightly.

Landon smiles.

He walks over to the fridge and pulls out two cans of coke and places them on the table with a bag a cheesy chips. "What movie do you want to watch?"

I shrug. "I don't care."

He pulls something off the shelf and places it in the DVD player. He pushes play and Fast and Furious comes across the screen. "Who do you think is hotter Dom, Brian or Hobbs?"

I shake my head. "Are you serious, Landon?"

He nods. "Yep,"

"I like all of them. But, if you were in that movie I would think you were hotter." I kiss his cheek.

Landon chuckles. "I was a fool letting you go last year. All the other girls chose one of them and made me feel less of man. I worked my arse off to get these, babies." He points to his eight pack.

I roll my eyes. "You could look like a tank and I'd still find you attractive."

He holds my hand. "That's good to know. Mum called earlier and she wants us to go over to her house after the funeral for the rest of the Will reading."

My hands start to shake. "I... I... I... can't go to another reading. I'm sorry." Tears fall down my face as I remember the events from today.

***

Landon shakes me. "Kayla, it's time to wake up. The Limo will be here soon for us."

I climb out of bed and enter the bathroom. I strip out of my clothes and climb into the shower. I quickly wash myself and exit the shower.

I wrap a towel around my body and enter my bedroom. I search the cupboard for a black dress and I find one tucked in the back. I pull it out and set it on the bed.

I search the chest of draws for matching underwear. I pull the clothes on and walk over to the vanity. I brush my hair and put in a pair of earrings that Grandmother brought me a couple of years ago.

I exit my bedroom and walk down the stairs. I see Landon place two plates on the table and I head towards the kitchen.

He licks his lips.

He looks hot in that tux. I hope he looks that great in one on our wedding day.

I shake my head to get rid of my thoughts of Landon Parker. I can't afford to think like that.

He pulls out a chair for me and I sit.

I cut into the pancakes that he made. "Thanks,"

As I finish with breakfast a car horn beeps. I wash my hands and face before I look for my handbag.