Chapter 8: Death's Fangs

Chapter 8—Death's Fangs

I woke up the next morning with a bit of a stress-headache. Romano stirred awake beside me.

"Buongiorno, fratellone." I muttered, stretching out my aches and stiffness.

"Buongiorno, fratellino. Headache again?" He asked.

"Si... just a little one, though." I stated. He leaned over, and checked my forehead for a temperature.

"You're good. No fever." He told me, before climbing out of bed and helping me up. We got dressed before we went to the kitchen to start breakfast for everyone.

Morning... I hear a sleepy voice in my mind.

Well, good morning to you, too, sleepy head. I mentally chuckle.

Yang was a... sort of split in my mind. He was formed during a very stressful and... well, bloodstained time of my life. We'd started off as bitter enemies, but after a lot of time, we'd grown fairly close to one another. I now consider him my annoying kid brother. The only problem is that I was physically unable to explain his presence, so even Romano didn't know about him.

Wait... where the fuck are we? I couldn't help but chuckle at Yang's confusion.

If you'd bothered to wake up yesterday instead of sleep through all this shit, you'd know. We got hit by a weird spell yesterday, and now have to watch my life. All of it. From birth to present, with my Group present.

Wait... if you mean...? Even that place?

Yup. I stop, a sudden thought occurring to me. W-wait! You don't think that'd violate the Contract, do you?! I half-panicked as Yang sent me waves of calm.

Ying! Hush. You're fine. It said, 'within your power'. This is obviously not within your power or ability, so... I'm guessing we've found ourselves a loophole. Does that mean I can come out?

No. Not yet. They'd have far too many questions. We're still on my first childhood.

Damn! That far back?

Yeah. Now shut up, fratello's talking again.

I'm fratello, too, you know.

Yeah. Annoying Fratellino. I mentally stuck out my tongue as I tuned back into what Romano was saying.

"You feeling okay today?" He asked me, likely concerned because I'd spaced out.

"Si, I'm feeling just fine. I think it has something to do with the memories, but I've actually been feeing quite a bit better~!" I explained. Maybe this'll be good... let go of a bunch of emotional baggage and all that...

Don't jinx it. You've gotta relive a ton of bad stuff, too.

Yang? Shut up.

So we're back to that. He crossed his arms within our mindscape and pouted.

"Good... I think. Damn, I just wish that we didn't have to watch all these memories." Romano sighed. Hmm... I need to cheer him up...

Oh, I know that train of thought~! This is gonna be good!

"Ve~ Lovi~ I want to surprise everyone, wanna help me?" I asked with a mischievous smile. Romano quirked an eyebrow.

"Depends... What sort of... surprise?"

"Come on, I'll show you! Just get the camera ready~!" I said, already starting the preparations.

When the other nations finally meandered their way down to breakfast, they stared in shock. In front of them, lay each of their favorite breakfast dishes from their home countries. Made flawlessly. CLICK! Romano took the picture with a flash, startling the others out of their stupor.