Chapter 25: Price of War

I was grateful that nobody commented on Holy Rome's words. They were very personal, and it brought up a lot of memories for me, both sad and happy.

The next scene cropped up to show a bright sunny day. Birds were singing, clouds lazily drifted by never fully obscuring the sun, and a gentle breeze blew. The only thing that disturbed what surely was a perfect day was the band of men moving things out of the house.

"Do you really have to go?" Feliciano asked, looking sadly at Acel.

"It's war, Italy. I have to fight. To protect everyone... Please, if you fight with me, we could become a strong empire!" Acel took Feliciano's hand, and looked desperately into his eyes.

"I can't." Feli said, looking sadly down at the grass.

"W-why? Why do you not want to...?"

"To protect you!" His tiny voice sang with surety. "Grandpa fell because he became too big to manage! He was in so much pain! I can't... I won't watch you do the same thing! I care too much about you!" Tears fell down Feliciano's face as his golden orbs shone brightly with emotion.

For a moment, the scene blurred to show Feli and Lovi sitting in the castle again. The room they were in was lavish, and red was the main color theme.

"Both of you, come here." Rome spoke softly, gesturing the two tiny nations and their puppy forward. "I want you to understand something important. Do not follow my example. Do not become an Empire like me." He said sadly.

"Wh-what? But I thought that's why you were training us?" Lovino looked confused.

"No... I'm training you so you know how to run your countries, and so you have the knowledge necessary to make good decisions." Rome unclasped his cape and removed his armor. Slowly, he took off his shirt to show his torso covered in hundreds of scars.

China looked sadly upon his once-lover. He'd seen them so many times before, but they hadn't looked that bad before.

The two children gasped. "Does it hurt?" Feli asked innocently.

"Yes. Very much." Rome nodded, looking down in shame. "I'm becoming too large. My people... they're tearing themselves apart. I was a fool to think I could achieve world peace through war. Please. Don't end up like me. Don't become the strongest nation... It'll only end in heartbreak and pain." He pleaded with them, before inhaling sharply in pain as a new injury appeared on his chest. Though it seemed to be a small gash, it looked to cause him more pain than it should.

"What's going on?" Lovino asked in alarm.

"Is that... from your country?"

"Yes. It is... Please." Rome begged. "Protect each other... And those precious to you. Don't ever let them become like me."

The scene faded back to Feli and Acel standing in front of Austria's house.

"What just happened?" Austria shook his head.

"A memory within a memory, I believe." England winced.

"That was private." Romano looked down at the ground.

"Like the rest of this hasn't been, fratello?" I shook my head before turning back to the memory.

"I-Italy..." Acel stared in shock at Feli, before he smiled softly. "I think I finally understand. Thank you. I'll make you proud, okay? I'll win this war and become a strong empire, all on my own! And then... maybe... we could..." He flushed red, and for a moment, it looked like he was going to pull away.