Chapter 40: The Second Loop

"I feel like I should introduce you." Romano said, gesturing for Asher to stand up—he'd been crouched so as not to alarm the other nations with his impressive height.

"Aaah!" France stumbled backwards upon seeing the full height and bulk of the fully grown wolf. I couldn't blame him—Asher was much taller as an adult than an adolescent.

"This is Asher the Second. My bonded." Romano smiled softly, scratching Asher behind his ear.

His fur was chestnut in coloration, which made his dark green eyes pop dramatically. He stood at a terrifying 5'2" (157 cm), which was unheard of for wolves or dogs.

"Even Dire Wolves aren't supposed to be that big!" China cried out.

"Aww... what a good puppy." Russia smiled, scratching Asher under the chin, making his eyes go a little unfocused.

"Ahh yeah! Right there! Scratch right there... that feels so good." He started leaning into Russia's scratches, making Romano and I chuckle.

"You're such a lapdog." I teased him. He turned to me, miffed, ears flicked back with irritation. "Oh, you know it's true. You've become so lazy in the past few centuries."

"So? It doesn't mean that you're any less lazy." He countered.

"I never said I wasn't, but at least I go grab my food. You've started settling for kibbles of all things. When was the last time you went for a hunt?" I raised an eyebrow.

"... I forgot you could understand me."

"To be honest, I did, too." Romano shrugged.

"You're a fucking wolf. And you don't even hunt?" Luciano gave Asher a look.

"Wh-what?" Asher looked away, embarrassed. "I just haven't found any prey worthy of my attention. Hunting rabbits at my size... I'd expend more energy than it's worth." He huffed.

"He said it's more effort than it's worth to hunt rabbits and such things at his size." I translated for the nations.

"Yeah, well, you're eating up my fucking wallet with those kibbles! Do you have any idea how expensive dog food is?!" Romano lectured.

"I'm a wolf. I don't need to have an idea of human money."

"Fucking ass." Romano huffed.

The memory faded in, then, drawing everyone's attention again.

Feliciano was standing in the hallway of the Meeting Place, staring at his phone in shock. After a moment, he fell to his knees and wept quietly.

"I... was it all a dream?" He took a deep, shaky breath. "How terrifying. Maybe..." He shook his head. "No way... I must've had some kind of daydream turned nightmare... Yeah." He got to his feet unsteadily, and took a step forward before realizing he was holding something. He glanced down at the Journal in shock, before dropping it to the ground with a strangled scream as if burned. He backed away, tripping over the rug and falling on his butt. He shook from head to toe, very pale.

"I... it can't be..." He hesitantly crawled forward and poked the book. He carefully picked it back up, and opened it.

The first page was blank, with the exception of a single signature line on the bottom of the page. Feliciano's signature was there, in blood. He ghosted his hand over it, and reeled back as if suddenly electrocuted.

"What was that?" Japan asked in concern.

"It was the Journal..." Luciano answered. "It was showing him how it's used, and what it does. It sort of... zaps the knowledge into your brain. You have a headache for a few minutes as the information processes."